TMI/Gross question

Options
Sorry if it's already been covered elsewhere, but... Are stool changes part if the deal in LCDs? Frequency/consistency/color?

I'm not seeing anything obviously alarming (no blood or anything like that), and I have been sick lately (though much better today), but things are looking a little odd in the bowl.

Thanks for any insight you can provide. Perhaps there's an article out there that I need to read.

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    It's not uncommon, especially if you're just starting. Drastic changes in the amount of fiber and/or fat in your diet are generally the most common cause. GI issues are also a common symptom of too much protein and not enough fat or carbs (that generally only happens if you're trying to do high protein, though, and protein is something like 50%+ of your calories, and it's hard to accidentally do that). Likewise, certain medications can respond poorly to such changes in diet (*cough*Metformin*cough* :wink:). Being sick further compounds matters, especially if it require antibiotics or other medications.

It should stabilize in a week or so and be "normal" in consistency and whatnot.

One long term change to keep in mind -- you might need to go less in general, depending on the details of your dietary change. Lower levels of fiber and more protein/fat often means you (shall we say) reach capacity less frequently. As long as you're not getting uncomfortable, physically, and can actually go when you feel the need to, you're fine (if you say "yes" to either or both of those, then it may be constipation and you need to tweak something, but if you say "no" to both, then it's just things moving more slowly).
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is pretty standard. And, it can span from temporary constipation to the runs. Everything can change during the transition. As long as you're not in pain or getting dehydrated, don't worry too much. Things will find a new normal over time.
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Thank you kindly! Crossing that worry off my list.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Since starting keto nearly two years back, mine have been mainly floaters and very small, like rabbit turds.....sorry for the TMI! lol
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Hello from TMI land! :p
    I get bad leg cramps, so take magnesium at night. My stool's uh... a lot darker and less solid. >_>

-T.
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Good info here! You probably can't gross me out. I grew up with three brothers, and I've birthed and raised three young kids. Lots of grossness in this sweet, messy life.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    The first six weeks this was all a wild card from day to day.
  • aspiedude
    aspiedude Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My primary care thought I had a gallbladder problem because for awhile mine were clay colored.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    My problem is that I don't have bowel movements enough. Maybe once every two days. I'm lucky if it's once a day lol.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    My problem is that I don't have bowel movements enough. Maybe once every two days. I'm lucky if it's once a day lol.

The idea that people should have one bowel movement a day is a misconception. Depending on how much you eat, the makeup of what you eat, and your own individual body, you might have a different "normal" than someone else. The signs of an issue have nothing to do with frequency, unless it drops to something extreme like you just stop pooping entirely. It's pain, discomfort, hard and dry poop, inability to go, etc. If you poop once every other day, but it's normal and doesn't cause any problems, then you're fine.

The most important thing is knowing what is normal for you.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I've noticed an improvement in my "plumbing" overall. I have had digestive issues since I can remember. Including having my gall bladder out at 16 years old due to stones.
    My IBS, which I previously managed with high fiber and probiotics, hasn't given me a bit of trouble with my keto eating. I still take the probiotics and have good fiber, but I don't even have to specifically try to get enough fiber anymore and the extra fat seems to have had no effect on it for me. And now that it's been mentioned, I think I am less frequent now...
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I was wondering about this too. Since going very low carb and upping my fats i keep getting bright green diarrhea, like cowpats, when i havent eaten ANYTHING green, particularly no veg. No idea why its this color.

OK, i cant believe i actually said that out loud.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I usually go once every few days and it's perfect! Well formed etc etc. I had daily diarrhea previously.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about this too. Since going very low carb and upping my fats i keep getting bright green diarrhea, like cowpats, when i havent eaten ANYTHING green, particularly no veg. No idea why its this color.

Bile is greenish. Could be a symptom of your body rejecting food -- dumping it before it's digested. Maybe a problem with fat? (Bile breaks down fat.)
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »

Bile is greenish. Could be a symptom of your body rejecting food -- dumping it before it's digested. Maybe a problem with fat? (Bile breaks down fat.)

Oooh, that makes sense. Particularly how poorly ive felt since upping my fats. I wonder what sort of problem it could be?

• GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Probably first 5-6 weeks it was variety of thingsmostly after I introduced heaving coconut oil and avocados. Boy, for 2 days it's was green mess. Now everything is perfect.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    It's not uncommon, especially if you're just starting. Drastic changes in the amount of fiber and/or fat in your diet are generally the most common cause. GI issues are also a common symptom of too much protein and not enough fat or carbs (that generally only happens if you're trying to do high protein, though, and protein is something like 50%+ of your calories, and it's hard to accidentally do that). Likewise, certain medications can respond poorly to such changes in diet (*cough*Metformin*cough* :wink:). Being sick further compounds matters, especially if it require antibiotics or other medications.

One long term change to keep in mind -- you might need to go less in general, depending on the details of your dietary change. Lower levels of fiber and more protein/fat often means you (shall we say) reach capacity less frequently. As long as you're not getting uncomfortable, physically, and can actually go when you feel the need to, you're fine (if you say "yes" to either or both of those, then it may be constipation and you need to tweak something, but if you say "no" to both, then it's just things moving more slowly).

I'm on Metformin for Insulin Resistance (PCOS). What are you referring to with Metformin responding poorly. I'm curious, because my body is all over the place.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

I'm on Metformin for Insulin Resistance (PCOS). What are you referring to with Metformin responding poorly. I'm curious, because my body is all over the place.

Metformin used to cause me regular sprints to the restroom with very violently expelled liquids from the non-liquid disposal sites. I had to avoid dairy near taking it, avoid carbs/sugars at all, and have since learned to avoid coconut oil and vinegar within a couple hours of each other for this same reaction.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    My body was reacting that way for the first 3 or 4 weeks. Now, I'm having trouble going at all. I'm back to where I was prior to LCHF and having to take a laxative after a week of no bathroom. :(
  • craziecritter
    craziecritter Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I have had daily diarrhea for over a week. I mean every time I went to the bathroom. I started taking Meta Biotic Probiotic and it has done wonders for me. I think my system was confused over the lack of fiber and carbs for sure.