New here and I eat my feelings!

Options
I'm a big emotional eater. I eat my feelings. I always feel hungry. I hate being like this. I'm in a medical weight loss program. I've done well, but in January I had foot surgery and couldn't go to the gym for nearly 3 months. I got really lazy. I went back to eating crappy. I'm having a really difficult time getting myself back together. I'm basically starting over.
My biggest problem is that I eat when I'm bored, happy, lazy, anxious, etc. I can't handle my feelings. The weight loss clinic I go to suggested I read the Beck Diet Solution. It's all about emotional eating. I haven't read it yet.
I get so damn pissed off at myself. I can't control my cravings or urges to eat. I'm starving right now. I would love to eat everything in the kitchen. LOL I'm feeling anxious over some personal stuff too. It makes me want to eat. I think this goes hand in hand with my horrid shopping addiction.

Replies

• TriciannT
    TriciannT Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I never thought I would find myself in that situation but one day I woke up and said "hey you turned into an emotional eater." I started using affirmations I found on FB and Pinterest and the ones that related I printed out and kept them with me. Now when I am treated poorly at work I smile and start reciting affirmations. I think my down fall is now is portion control and happy hour. I was once in the corporate world and drinking is a way of life but now it makes me unhappy.
  • scottiedogluvr2
    scottiedogluvr2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Affirmations are a great way to make yourself feel better. I think I need to go find some and write them down. Portion control is a HUGE thing for me too. I'm not working, so I get to sit around and think about food. I'm in a medical weight loss program at Vanderbilt University and it really helps IF you work it. I'm also a shopping addict. hard core. Eating and shopping. UGH
  • ahealthiercara
    ahealthiercara Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have definitely felt that way - hungry ALL the time. I'm also an emotional eater and it can turn into a downward spiral of food shame really quickly for me. It was/is a hard thing to do but giving up sugar changed that addictive spiral. I found that if I cut sugar out of my diet completely, I am no longer hungry all the time. My meals become manageable, my emotions are more manageable, I am less consumed by thoughts of food - it is remarkable.

I'm not perfect with it and when I slip up it is hard to get back to it but it is SO worth it on so many levels.

Good luck to you! Its a hard journey but you can do it!
  • FaithMathias
    FaithMathias Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is me emotional eater. :) We can do this , we can get control over our emotions. I had surgery 2012 on my spine lost weight after only to gain again. I am back to working out 3x's a week and I will say the hardest part for me is eating right and portion control. I am setting my goal of eating 1500 calories a day. I was told to take the weight I want to be and x's it bye 100, so in my case 150x100. It has been hard to stay within this range especially considering I love ice cream and pizza this time of year. But, today is a new day and today is not yesterday. What I did yesterday is over and I am living for this day. So, I will start my day off health and attempt to remain there and if for some reason I fall short. I know it will be people here to push me forward. So , today goal is to eat 1500 calories and take a 20 minute walk.