Am I getting carried away with fats?

Options
farmers_daughter
farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
Ok - so today since I've got computer access today I plugged in my macros, and I'm a little shocked.

My Bigelow Raspberry Tea with 2 stevia packets, and 4 tblsp of heavy whipping cream tops out at 24 g fat. (This is for a 16 oz mug) I sometimes have two mugs, soooo whoof. I'm still trying to get over the fact that one mug is 240 cals. That smarts too.

I had a Jimmy Johns turkey tom unwich at lunch which tops out at 23g fat
That runs me awful close to my allotment for the day, like 20g left.

Does that sound right?

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    What are your calorie and macro settings at? How tall are you?

Quick math - 24 + 24 + 23 + 20 = 92g

Guesstimating that you should be eating around 1500 (guessing height and weight from pics and ticker to get a general idea), keto calculator puts you at about 117g of fat, 90g protein, and 20g carbs, which means you should be more than fine for fats (even if these aren't your exact numbers).

The question, then, is -- are you getting enough food in general? Are you getting enough naturally fatty food, like avocado and fatty meats in? If things like the 4tbsp of HWC and added mayo on the unwich are causing you to skip out on whole foods that are naturally fatty, then you probably want to trade the added fats out. However, for fat in general, you're fine. Remember -- carbs are a limit (so if you come in way under and still feel good, that's okay), protein is a range (it's okay to be over or under and usually balances out), then fat to satiety.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Ok I tried attaching a photo of my diary it didn't work so I opened it up. I need to try to get the app to work on my phone again to keep a better look at it.

I'm 5'5" & 240. I've got my cal's set at 1500 yet.
    Fatty meats, fish, yes, avocados, butter etc.

I'm not skimping on anything just yet. Still trying to solidify getting rid of the breads, sugars and other offenders first.
    I just looked at that and thought holy cow, I knew I was over eating but daaaang.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8, 217 lbs and losing inches on 1900 calories a day. I'm eating 70% of my calories in fat. 20% protein and 5% carbs. It doesn't seem like you're eating too much fat but of you still hungry, bump up your calories to allow more fat :)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I'd concentrate on getting fats that have more nutrition in them than cream -raw macadamias, walnuts and pecans are good, avocado of course, grass fed cheeses and full fat (11%) greek yogourts, salmon, catfish, sardines, mackerel.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Farmer's daughter I am new at this so my first focus was learning the foods that worked for me trying to eat Low Carb High Fat without looking at the numbers but weighing myself each day. After finding the right kinds of fats that worked for me then I started looking at the math of what I was eating. Weight loss was not my first concern but was how to eat to lower my physical pain. Cutting out the sugar and going heavy on coconut oil was my starting point and when the pain dropped like a rock I knew I was doing something right. The weight loss was more like a side effect for months. I do about an 1800 calorie breakfast made up of coconut flakes, almonds, coffee with cocoa, 5 tablespoons of coconut oil, about the same of heavy whipping cream and a 1/4 teaspoon of shilajit. My second meal which is optional depending on how fast I want to lose is 4 fried eggs and 6 stripes of bacon with four cups of coffee with cream.

I agree with you getting rid of the foods that hurt us replaced with foods that help us is job one. I have been all over the board on WHAT to eat but it is coming together. Thankfully I can eat the same foods meal after meal for years. :)