How on earth can BPC be healthy?

Options
2»

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere, I think in keto group, that bpc is designed to keep you in a fasting state for longer, or something along those lines, as it doesn't cause a spike in insulin. I add protein powder to mine which I guess negates that benefit. I don't get up early enough to cook food before work, bpc only takes me a minute and fills me for hours, plus with the protein powder and iced it makes it like a frappe, so yummy
  • fancyroberts
    fancyroberts Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Well thanks people!!! Very informative....I love this group! :smile:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    This isn't a published study but Dr. Spencer Nadolsky has a few case studies of clients where they show cholesterol levels getting worse when these clients switched to BP coffee.

I'm all about context... do you have more info? Were these folks who never ate breakfast, folks who switched from eggs? folks who switched from danishes?

I don't have a pony in this race. Never tried BP coffee as I can't drink coffee anymore (long story involving vomit) but I've pondered BP tea...
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    This isn't a published study but Dr. Spencer Nadolsky has a few case studies of clients where they show cholesterol levels getting worse when these clients switched to BP coffee.

I'm all about context... do you have more info? Were these folks who never ate breakfast, folks who switched from eggs? folks who switched from danishes?

I don't have a pony in this race. Never tried BP coffee as I can't drink coffee anymore (long story involving vomit) but I've pondered BP tea...

I take issue with the way Asprey promotes it as being a magical fat burning drink, but beyond that, prior to reading Spencer's report on it I would default to the position of "if it helps you stick to your diet and you like it then great".

The same way I'd tell someone that if they want to eat low carb because they enjoy it and it helps them adhere to their diet then great even though you will see me debate pros and cons of the approach or claims about the approach in the main forums.

And right now yes this is appeal to authority on my part regarding Spencer and cholesterol numbers. I get that. Will try to share details if/when I can.

I've not had any clients wishing to drink BP coffee but if I did I would tell them to monitor cholesterol periodically just as a precaution. It's possibly to do with it being a liquid form and relatively high dose of fat rather rapidly can could be problematic in some people.

And yes certainly there are confounding factors that could exist elsewhere in the diet.

Typed that on my phone, typos galore.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I take issue with the way Asprey promotes it as being a magical fat burning drink, but beyond that, prior to reading Spencer's report on it I would default to the position of "if it helps you stick to your diet and you like it then great".

The same way I'd tell someone that if they want to eat low carb because they enjoy it and it helps them adhere to their diet then great even though you will see me debate pros and cons of the approach or claims about the approach in the main forums.

And right now yes this is appeal to authority on my part regarding Spencer and cholesterol numbers. I get that. Will try to share details if/when I can.

I've not had any clients wishing to drink BP coffee but if I did I would tell them to monitor cholesterol periodically just as a precaution. It's possibly to do with it being a liquid form and relatively high dose of fat rather rapidly can could be problematic in some people.

And yes certainly there are confounding factors that could exist elsewhere in the diet.

Thanks this helps, typos aside. Gonna take some time to digest. Thanks!
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

One thing I've noticed, at least on /r/keto, very few people who discuss BPC actually mean his version of BPC. It's becoming a generic name for coffee with extra fat. I'm curious if you know if the research was using the "official" BPC scam kit he sells on his website, or just any combination of oil/cream/butter? I know it's not something I personally have to worry about since I get bloodwork regularly and mine's always fine, but my macros more than make up for leaving butter out of my coffee anyway.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

One thing I've noticed, at least on /r/keto, very few people who discuss BPC actually mean his version of BPC. It's becoming a generic name for coffee with extra fat. I'm curious if you know if the research was using the "official" BPC scam kit he sells on his website, or just any combination of oil/cream/butter? I know it's not something I personally have to worry about since I get bloodwork regularly and mine's always fine, but my macros more than make up for leaving butter out of my coffee anyway.

While it's probably overpriced and not entirely necessary for most people, I'd say scam is a bit harsh. There are specific reasons he recommends and sells the parts for the official variation that he does, and he recommends them based on the research he's done. Scam also implies bad faith, which isn't present here, even if you don't agree with his findings.

That said, I'm also interested in seeing whether it's the official variation or the generic one.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Here is some info I found last night, its not the full study but describes one case in particular from the study.
    http://www.precisionnutrition.com/bulletproof-coffee

It's hard to know what other factors came in to play. It mentions that the 25 year old specific to this article also changed his entire diet, and has a family history of high cholesterol, also when he cut out the bpc his cholesterol was still elevated above normal. So it wasn't the only factor.

Its good advice though to regularly monitor, genetics likely being a key factor in how your body responds.

• greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Here is some info I found last night, its not the full study but describes one case in particular from the study.
    http://www.precisionnutrition.com/bulletproof-coffee

It's hard to know what other factors came in to play. It mentions that the 25 year old specific to this article also changed his entire diet, and has a family history of high cholesterol, also when he cut out the bpc his cholesterol was still elevated above normal. So it wasn't the only factor.

Its good advice though to regularly monitor, genetics likely being a key factor in how your body responds.

On a tangent here, but I wonder if "family history of high cholesterol" is more a result of diet than DNA. We get our eating habits from our families and upbringing. So it might be similar to obesity "running in families" being more about habits developed from early age than genetic predispositions.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @greenautumn17 that's possible.

its difficult to know though since not everyone eats the exact same diet everyday. I have no issues with cholesterol and eat plenty of meats, eggs and bpc regularly. I have a few friends who are on cholesterol meds that don't eat as much of those items, they are also healthy weight and active.
  • mamichula1173
    mamichula1173 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I like BPC bc I work in surgery and have an erratic schedule. I never know how long until my next meal. I used to cram food in the early AM and my blood sugar would bottom out a few hours later. All I could think about was food. I can't exactly leave in the middle of surgery to grab a bite (not always anyway).

My BPC is unofficial. I tried coconut oil and had unpleasant side effects. Now I use 30mL heavy cream, 14g butter, splash of vanilla, and dash of cinnamon. Whirl it for 30s in the blender and it's perfect. I can easily last 5 hours with this alone as my breakfast. When I start to get hungry, its a low growl instead of turning into Joe Pesci from Goodfellas. I love it for that alone. I was not a fun person when I was hangry.