Water Weight

Options
doneatfour
doneatfour Posts: 120 Member
Hi,

Just wondering how much of a person's weight can be attributed to EXCESSS water. I got to goal a couple of months ago. Then work and stress got in the way and I stopped monitoring what I ate. I've been on a total carb binge since then. I'm talking about desserts every day, bread smeared in Nutella or coco jam, any easy snack, fast food, pizza, etc,...So unlike me even when I wasn't actively trying to lose weight. Now I'm 12 lbs up from my lowest weight. :cry: I know some if it is fat. I was too high in carbs and calories for me to have escaped that. But how much if that is excess water that can be lost quickly? Is it some percentage of weight or an absolute amount? I'd like to think 6-8 lbs is water. I gained that in the first two weeks and I wasn't THAT bad in the beginning.

Just trying to make myself feel better...

Replies

• tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Just wondering how much of a person's weight can be attributed to EXCESSS water.

**Warning: Tough Love coming!**

I think your time will be better spent focusing on getting back on track with your way of eating rather than picking apart the fat/water ratio. Does it really matter? I'd hazard to guess that you're uncomfortable, you feel like crap, you're bloated, and your day is being controlled by the "shame spiral." STOP NOW! Put down the pizza and the Nutella and plan your very next meal to be your most favorite low carb thing w/ all the fixin's you love. Steak? Lobster dipped in butter? A nice salad w/ full fat dressing? What is it? Make a commitment here and now that the next thing you eat is going to be your most favorite thing from your low carb lifestyle...then plan your next meal the same way...and then don't stop. :-)

Hey, we all have life events happen that can lead us astray, but if you focus on the benefits that low carbing provided (not just weight loss, either), it's much easier to let a slip be just that and take your control back.

I'm rooting for you...and I know that there are others here that are too. :-)
  • lolabluola
    lolabluola Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Just wondering how much of a person's weight can be attributed to EXCESSS water.

**Warning: Tough Love coming!**

I think your time will be better spent focusing on getting back on track with your way of eating rather than picking apart the fat/water ratio. Does it really matter? I'd hazard to guess that you're uncomfortable, you feel like crap, you're bloated, and your day is being controlled by the "shame spiral." STOP NOW! Put down the pizza and the Nutella and plan your very next meal to be your most favorite low carb thing w/ all the fixin's you love. Steak? Lobster dipped in butter? A nice salad w/ full fat dressing? What is it? Make a commitment here and now that the next thing you eat is going to be your most favorite thing from your low carb lifestyle...then plan your next meal the same way...and then don't stop. :-)

Hey, we all have life events happen that can lead us astray, but if you focus on the benefits that low carbing provided (not just weight loss, either), it's much easier to let a slip be just that and take your control back.

I'm rooting for you...and I know that there are others here that are too. :-)

^
    ^
    THIS

I'm in the same boat lady! I had a couple of months of bad weekends and went up 10lbs and my pants are all tight. So I've started focusing on getting back on track. It's only 10lbs! Damage control! you caught onto the problem sooner rather than later.
    And like tru2one said above... how do you feel? That's what matters. In a week or two after you get back into things you'll notice the weight dropping and you will feel better. If you can't stand the scale give yourself like 2 weeks b4 you weigh again :)

and this part "... and then don't stop :-)" that's what i've gotta do!
  • doneatfour
    doneatfour Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thanks both of you! I know...I know.:laugh: I just felt overwhelmed. 12 lbs is a lot for me right now. My pants don't fit the way I want, my rings are tighter, I have a carb baby (my belly swells after I eat carbs making me look pregnant especially since the rest of me is thin)... Letting myself think most of it could be water just makes it not seem so bad. Know what I mean? But at least I'm still far ahead of where I was. So, time to get back to basics and get strict again.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Water weight varies with persons hydration and diet. 1 gram of Carbs holds about 4 gram of water retention. For me for example doing keto I had my high carb day today. Put on 3~4 lbs of water weight so far lol.