What keeps you motivated to continue this WOE?

Options

Replies

• Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    For me, first it's the weight loss, but also being able to eat good food, and eat until I'm full.

This. The first weight loss plan EVER where I don't feel hungry.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Very rarely feelings hungry. In my past life (lol) I would be so so soooooo hungry even after eating 3,000 calories. I could've easily eaten a large pizza. Easily. Now I am satisfied after 1200, 1300, 1400 calories. Some days I struggle to hit 1200. Love it!
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I LOVED reading all these. I've found my peeps, as my kids would say. lolol. :) -- Anyway, yes to everything most of you have said, except maybe medications. I'm not on any at the moment but a few months ago my doctor said my A1C was in the pre-diabetes range and she said I have to lose weight. At the same time I had been thinking that I was developing some sort of intolerance to a grain. My wise doctor told me that indigestion/bloating/other "issues" can all be signs of pre- or actual diabetes. Who knew? My old doctor merely told me to take antacids. So I went off all grains and obvious sugar and I felt like A NEW PERSON! omg, it was so wonderful!

No more sudden must-eat-everything-in-sight hunger mid-morning. No more can't-keep-my-eyes-opened sleepiness after lunch. Most joint aches gone. No more morning headaches. Seriously, I could not believe it. I'm a new person and I haven't even lost much weight yet!

I haven't yet really investigated added sugars in things like ketchup or salad dressings... I don't eat much of that so I'm not going to worry about it right now, while I'm trying to figure out the losing weight thing. I also haven't cut down/out my sweetener for my coffee. I would like to but I haven't figured out how yet. I worship at the altar of the Coffee God so that will be a really big change for me. :wink:

oh and by the way...what does WOE stand for? I know I'll be saying "duh on me" as soon as you tell me....:p
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    The biggest motivator, for me, is the decrease in severity and frequency of fibromyalgia pain. Plus, energy levels I haven't seen in far too long. Knowing that those other foods are poison to me makes this so much easier too!
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    oh and by the way...what does WOE stand for? I know I'll be saying "duh on me" as soon as you tell me....:p

Woe = way of eating ;)
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Thanks AnginCanada... see, I knew it would be something obvious. lol
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    The food tastes good. Everything else is a bonus.
  • LemonMarmalade
    LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I like eating this way. The benefits outweigh any negative I could put on it. I want to be around for my children and future grandchildren...healthy Superhero Granny!!!! I want to be active until I drop dead.
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Simple phrase, "I don't want to die fat."
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I haven't farted in 100+ days.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    glossbones wrote: »
    I haven't farted in 100+ days.

LOL! It definitely makes a difference that way!

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    @glossbones! Lol!
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    For me, first it's the weight loss, but also being able to eat good food, and eat until I'm full. I like reading other low carb success stories and looking at before and after photos. How about you?

Being able to look down and see my belt buckle

When I take a few flights of stairs, I don't need an AED!!

I don't want to go back.

And the way I eat now is satisfying and sensible!

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Food no longer controls me. I used to have a full on addiction for all things junkie - particularly sweets and salty foods. Now, I can find a eating plan compatible snack, or pop a piece of trident (find a gum you can barely tolerate - not one you love - to prevent craving triggers!). Loud angry rock music helps, too.

Oreos, ice cream, candy bars, and chips - all manner of junk can sit on my counter, in my pantry, or in the fridge/freezer - and they no longer call to me. Or they call, but the number has changed. What used to be an insane screaming voice in my head that would not let me do a single thing until I fed the addiction is now a dim whisper in the back of my head that is easily ignored. Like most addicts, the urge is still there on occasion (bad day, FEED ME, etc.), but I can ignore it or feed it with fuel my body can actually use.

That is the biggest one.

Others:
    Mental clarity - I never knew I was in a fog until I wasn't
    Energy - I didn't know it was possible
    Food Narcolepsy (also called Postprandial Somnolence) - gone unless I mix up my supplements or have really bad sleep days several days in a row.
    Gastro Distress - I'm with @glossbones as well as no more sprinting to the bathroom for the runs or trying every position/caffeine to move things along
    Food - I can literally eat anything I want. It's nice to not feel like I'm dying if I want something bad for me. For the most part, I simply don't want those things anymore. Anything with sugar triggers an instant migraine, and chips taste like paste and glue to me now.
    Sleep - I'm sleeping better and feeling rested in the same very short amounts.
    Waking - I was always a night person - I'd rather go to bed at 5 am than be getting up - and I no longer need a forklift (or a dozen alarms) to get me out of bed.
    Clothes - I'm down 2 full clothing sizes (and quickly running out of clothes that fit!) LOL
    Amorous Adventure - More adventure and more easily achieved...goals
    Medical - better reports across the bored
    Mood Stabilization - I've always had hormonal issues (I have PCOS, among other issues) and these days I'm far more level and manageable
    Fitness - I can do things I haven't done in 20 years
    Life - I feel better overall than I EVER have as an adult. Period.
    Potential - While life had gotten blase and felt hopeless, lately I've started to dare to dream again....it's quite scary and exciting at the same time.
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Food no longer controls me.

This! I loved all of these, but especially relate to this one.

Ten years ago (to the day on 5-16-15), I quit smoking, having been a pack-a-day smoker since my teens. I had tried and failed to quit many times. I kept a list of reasons why I wanted to quit smoking in my wallet, things like, "I don't want to die a smoker," and "I don't want to be a smoker when I get pregnant". The list of benefits of quitting smoking for me was a long one, but my favorite one was that I was no longer a slave to smoking. I knew a relapse, even one cigarette, would put me back there. When I quit, I freed myself from "the cigarette clock". I no longer timed every event of my day around smoking.

Fast forward ten years, and I was looking back on a year jam-packed with major life stressors (more on that later, if we have a "get to know you" thread around here somewhere). I coped along the way by eating way too many carbs and Dove dark chocolates. Yeah, those things aren't lacking in sugar. I have an addictive personality (hello, cigarettes!) and apparently I'm highly addicted to bread and chocolate. I would get raging hunger. Hunger headaches. I didn't have gestational diabetes, but one of my test results was borderline. The third score was close to the hypoglycemic range.

Since coming back to the LCD (I had tried Primal briefly in the past), I am finding myself free of the raging hunger cycle! That alone is worth so much.

Of course, rapid weight loss is da bomb. But I don't expect that to last forever. Even if my weight stalls where it is, I feel a hell of a lot healthier and saner than I was. And I can also look at cupcakes and smell fresh baked bread, smile, and walk away.

I have this nostalgia for cigarettes, but smoking isn't really a temptation at all anymore. And the nostalgia is bound up with the pride I take from having successfully quit. I hope to reach that feeling with processed carbs one day.

Love this thread!

• kendallvon
    kendallvon Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I feel better eating this way. My blood sugars are stable. I'm a reactive hypoglycemic and if I go on a carb binge I will "crash" 1 1/2 hours after eating. I've fainted from low blood sugar. I've seen it as low as 28 once. With this WOE, I feel good. My sugars stay in the low 70's.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    While I don't meet many people's definition of low carb, I'm certainly lower carb than SAD eaters.

Why do I keep doing it? I went on ONE diet in my life. It was a mishmash of mediterranean and south beach (south beach wasn't a real "thing" yet, no books, no recipes, just something being discussed a bit on the news). I lost all the weight I wanted without much of any hunger or misery.

And I've kept it off 14+ years by doing the same thing.

As I've hit menopause, the carb level has certainly gone down, but the principles I followed remain the same.
    It worked. It continues to work with some tweaking for menopause (I firmly believe, and evidence supports me, that menopause changes carbohydrate metabolism in many women, including me).

I have no qualms going lower carb as needed. And I KNOW it's sustainable.

Keep doing what you know works for YOU.
  • fancyroberts
    fancyroberts Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    my belly is the first to go and not my BOOBS :)
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options

Preach.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options

So many women say that!

As guys we lose the shed built over the tool as Larry The Cable Guy said

:)

The first thing I found when I started losing weight was that I had a lap!