Would You Rather (Fun Thread)

Options
T1DCarnivoreRunner
T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
Just for some fun conversation here...

For awhile, I've dreamed about what it would be like if I were to win the lottery and never have to work another day in my life. I figure I would through-hike every major trail in North America. I feel like the worst day hiking is better than the best day at work. In fact, this morning it was raining hard (we got 5 inches in 1-2 hours) and a co-worker mentioned she didn't really want to work today. I said that is me everyday... I would rather go hiking in this rain than be at work (my company sucks).

When weather is bad, do you not want to go out? What types of things would you not give up to hike in serious rain, snow, etc.?

Replies

• pcotter54
    pcotter54 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    LOL. I would SO much rather go hiking in the pouring rain than do housework!
  • kasaz
    kasaz Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm a wimp and after living in Arizona for 10 years, I prefer to hike when it isn't raining. The last time I stayed home due to the rain was March 19th. I tripped over the dog and broke my arm, should have gone hiking. I will be hiking the Wonderland Trail in Washington 9/1 and will be prepared to hike in the rain, but I don't like it.
  • undergloom
    undergloom Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I don't mind a rainy day or two on a multi-day hike. For a simple overnighter, the effort required to dry out all my gear at home afterwards isn't worth it.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    undergloom wrote: »
    I don't mind a rainy day or two on a multi-day hike. For a simple overnighter, the effort required to dry out all my gear at home afterwards isn't worth it.

How about a day hike without the sleeping and cooking gear?
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I can't deal with deep snow! My feet and ankles can't handle all that squishing while trying to deal with the dog! i can do rain if it's warmer out...like 70+.
  • undergloom
    undergloom Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    undergloom wrote: »

How about a day hike without the sleeping and cooking gear?

Local training hikes, sure. The rain keeps the trails virtually free of other people. For the real mountain trips though, I've only ever done a "day hike" once; otherwise it's always a multi-day affair. Sleeping out is part of the experience, plus I'm in no condition to drive immediately after bagging a peak. :smile:
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I don't mind the rain if I can get my gear dried out. Last summer we got caught in a hailstorm while on the Appalachian Trail. If it wasn't dried out at the campfire that night, it never dried out.