Weekends

farmers_daughter
farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
Ok so for a very long time. Every other weekend when I don't have my kids. I've made a huge effort that I just plain and simple...don't want to cook. (with the exception of the microwave)

So I'd get a pizza and eat on it all weekend, or hit the drive thru if I was out and about. Things that I don't do when I have my kids.

I have to break this habit... I've already thought of preparing extra during the week and shoving it in the back of the fridge/freezer...but what would some other quick fix suggestions be? And typically it's a 10am breakfast and dinner that I eat those days. Typically don't do lunch.

And when I say easy - I mean like stupid easy. Lazy easy. :wink:

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Have a crustless pizza for breakfast (I love pizza for breakfast): stir fry up all your veggie pizza toppings add your meats or shrimp to heat, dump in enough pizza/tomato sauce to sloppy it, put it on an ovenproof plate. Shred your favorite pizza cheeses on it (I like gruyere, mozza, parmesan - not the crap powder, and feta), then shove it under the broiler for a couple minutes til cheese is slightly browned and bubbly. ENJOY!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    I go for bacon & eggs for easy. Or cheese & pepperoni. Or cream cheese on veggies. Cook some extra chicken during the week and cube it up to toss on a salad. Or do tuna or shrimp on the salad.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Why give up the pizza if you enjoy it. Make a couple cauliflower pizza crust pizzas or meatza pizzas and freeze them in slices of two or three and you can enjoy when the kids aren't home. :)

If my kids weren't home I'd totally make eggs and bacon for breakfast. Lol. My kids are bacon hogs so when I make it when they are home, its a pound gone in 2 minutes.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    I hear you on the eggs and bacon with my kids AngInCanada! My oldest I have to keep her out while I'm cooking.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    edited June 2015
    This is a fairly common issue in my opinion, in that (at least it sounds like) it's not necessarily the craving for pizza, it's the lack of willingness to prepare a better option so you go for the easier/more convenient route.

I could of course be wrong about the above, but I'm going to lean in that direction for now unless you go deeper into your motivations for it.

I'd recommend that you start preparing food in advance. Figure out a meal or two that you enjoy eating that you would also enjoy (or at the worst case, tolerate) reheated. Assign one day the following week (if you feel motivated, do it TOMORROW) to prepare that meal in bulk. Eat one meal fresh the day you prepared it, and pre-package the rest into containers such that you can reheat them. Prepare them in the most convenient way possible and put them in the front of your refrigerator so that on Saturday you see them when you open the refrigerator.

Sounds like I am going overboard here but I quite literally mean you should stick the food in a Tupperware type of container so that you can microwave it, and make sure that this container is staring you in the face in the front of your refrigerator so you can't avoid it when you open the refrigerator. This environmental stuff is massively important even though people tend to think it doesn't apply to them.

If you try this and it works, I would consider assigning a food prep day and permanently putting that into your schedule so that you can build this habit.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Pre-prep is definitely the key... I always used to make enough at dinner the night before so I could have it for lunch the next day at work (when I worked days, lol). @SideSteel, having it in front of the fridge so you see it when you open the fridge door is a perfect idea.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    I keep salami and cheese slices around for laziness. :p I used to do food prep every sunday, but have been working those lately.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    I like to pre-cook some burgers. And I usually have some left-over steak somewhere. Also, precooked bacon makes an awesome snack to fire you up for some cooking.
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Hmmm...I'm the opposite. On my weekend, I cook more. During the work week, I end up having lunch meats and cheese a lot. >_>
    Today I sauteed some sliced mushrooms in butter and garlic, then added some chicken broth and heavy cream.
    Fried some pork chops in leftover bacon grease and then added the mushroom gravy to it and let it simmer.
    Wowsa!
    As a bonus, I now have an extra pork chop in mushroom gravy for tomorrow. YAY lefties!
    Leftover bacon grease is also what I usually toss some cabbage and meats into. Cooks up fast.

-T.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Roast a chicken or pick up a deli-cooked chicken. I can eat off one for a few days. Pair it with a bag of frozen "steamers" type veggies for a meal.

Roasting one is easy-- just tuck the wings under so they don't burn, rub seasoning of your choice between the meat and skin, and bake it on a roasting pan at 350* for an hour or 90 minutes until the thigh meat is 165*. Or, pop it in a crockpot on low for 5 hours while you run errands (rub it with Tumeric to get a better color on the skin of you do this).
  • SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    When you put a chicken in the crockpot do you put stock in too? I've only ever made stews in mine!
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Super lazy... go to the drive thru and buy bbq chicken.

Cheese, pate, salami, brie, deli meats.

Pork rinds and sour cream to dip.

These would get me through a weekend.

Not quite so lazy... pre cook bacon in the oven, keep it in the fridge. I can eat it cold if it's crunchy. Boil a dozen eggs and keep them in the fridge. I eat these cold too. Slice them in half and put sour cream or mayo on top.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    edited June 2015
    Sajyana wrote: »
    Super lazy... go to the drive thru and buy bbq chicken.

Cheese, pate, salami, brie, deli meats.

Pork rinds and sour cream to dip.

These would get me through a weekend.

Not quite so lazy... pre cook bacon in the oven, keep it in the fridge. I can eat it cold if it's crunchy. Boil a dozen eggs and keep them in the fridge. I eat these cold too. Slice them in half and put sour cream or mayo on top.

the super lazy part = you speaking my language :-D
  • DaliaMaria73
    DaliaMaria73 Posts: 10 Member
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Have a crustless pizza for breakfast (I love pizza for breakfast): stir fry up all your veggie pizza toppings add your meats or shrimp to heat, dump in enough pizza/tomato sauce to sloppy it, put it on an ovenproof plate. Shred your favorite pizza cheeses on it (I like gruyere, mozza, parmesan - not the crap powder, and feta), then shove it under the broiler for a couple minutes til cheese is slightly browned and bubbly. ENJOY!

OMG...that sounds so yummy. I gotta get me a cast-iron pan to make it easier.