How was your immediate recovery? (RNY)

Options
rnin02
rnin02 Posts: 20 Member
I'm having my surgery on 6/16/15, laproscopic RNY. Unfortunately that is a bad week for my family/household so I won't have a ton of support when I get home those first couple of days. If you were fairly active prior to surgery, how quickly were you back to walking a few blocks? I'm just concerned about getting my son the 2 blocks to the bus stop mainly, 4 days after surgery. Is this a reasonable expectation for someone who is currently pretty active and no significant mobility issues?

Replies

• jillcwatson1
    jillcwatson1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I had sleeve surgery, but thought I would comment since I am only 5 weeks out and so my memory of that time is still pretty fresh. I know that a lot may depend on how you deal with anesthesia so soon after surgery. I did very well and practiced walking as much as I could in the hospital. My husband (and only one living in our home) had to leave town to care for his elderly parents within 2 days of me leaving the hospital. I was able to do quite well at home and fixed my "meals", cared for my incisions, and got around the house quite well. Mostly you will rest during the first days. I bet if you are physically active now you will be ok. Take more time to get your son TO the bus stop, but then take your time coming back home. You may want to find a neighbor who could help. How many times will you need to do this? You will be stronger every day.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I think at 4 days out you'll be able to manage the 2 blocks up and back just fine. You may feel more tired than you would expect, but that distance shouldn't be an issue at all.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery; it's so close!
  • rnin02
    rnin02 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the input! I was thinking 2 blocks 4 days out would be ok but a coworker who had lap-band 4 years ago had me doubting myself. Fortunately that will be his last day of school and the rest of the time should be easier:) it's just those first few days at home that's tricky with our schedules.
  • BabeDeNoc
    BabeDeNoc Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My doctor stressed that walking will help keep your system in good working order after surgery. I didn't have a lot of pain after surgery--the hard parts were getting up and down from bed or a chair, but walking wasn't painful at all--in fact, it made me feel better. Two blocks at a slow pace each way shouldn't be a problem--just take it slow.
  • lmryoung
    lmryoung Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I had RNY 2 months ago. I took my first walk outside at 4 days out and I did 2 blocks (smaller neighborhood blocks - not city blocks). It was slow-going and painful but I was ok. My partner had her surgery 2 years ago and she couldn't walk that far for a couple of weeks because her response to anasthesia is really intense and she has a super-low pain threshold. I say this to say that your experience will be yours. If you're like most of us you can probably do it, but you might want a back-up plan just in case.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    How hard are stairs after surgery. My room is upstairs, so I foresee lots of trips up and down. Or should I plan on sleeping on the couch for a few days?
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I had VSG, but stairs aren't too bad. I wouldn't plan on "lots of trips up and down", but 2 or 3 times a day shouldn't be to much for the first few days. just take it slow
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Wow, day 2 is so much worse than the day after. I was actually feeling good when I left the hospital. Yesterday was achey,bloated, and horrible. Today was somewhat better. I was able to go on 2 decent walks, slowly.
  • lenac87
    lenac87 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    anbrdr wrote: »
    Wow, day 2 is so much worse than the day after. I was actually feeling good when I left the hospital. Yesterday was achey,bloated, and horrible. Today was somewhat better. I was able to go on 2 decent walks, slowly.
    Every day will get a little better! I'd say every day was about half as bad as the day before :)
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I was so drugged on day 1 I really remember very little. Day 2 was hard- I was very nauseated and not tolerating liquids well at all. That carried some into day 3, and earned me a 3rd night in the hospital. So by comparison, you're doing awesome!!! Once I got over that hump and got home, things got better every day, but I was close to 2 weeks out before I felt anywhere close to my old energy levels.