How does too much protein kick you out of ketosis?

Options
PPumpItUp
PPumpItUp Posts: 208 Member
I have been reading conflicting information on blogs and threads. Some people say that too much protein will kick you out of ketosis, others say that you need excess protein. I lift weights so I try to take 1g for each pound of lean body mass so that around 220g of protein per day. I think I should be safe with this no matter which theory you go by, correct?

Replies

• PPumpItUp
    Options
    I guess the protein is supposed to convert to glucose but even that has controversies around it. Some people say it does happen and others say it does not.
  • MizTenaciousT
    MizTenaciousT Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've heard different things about this too. I'm hoping some of the more experienced ketoers will chime in. From what I understand, as long as you're staying close to the traditional 5-20-75 CPF ratio, with carbs under 50g, you should be good.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    PPumpItUp wrote: »
    I have been reading conflicting information on blogs and threads. Some people say that too much protein will kick you out of ketosis, others say that you need excess protein. I lift weights so I try to take 1g for each pound of lean body mass so that around 220g of protein per day. I think I should be safe with this no matter which theory you go by, correct?

You're fine. You would have to eat a lot more than that for it to be an issue. You can read more of the science about it here: http://www.reddit.com/r/ketoscience/comments/228n7h/excess_protein_does_not_negate_ketosis/
  • PPumpItUp
    Options
    Thanks
  • SteveKroll
    SteveKroll Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I check my BG several times a day and I can tell you that I do get higher readings the day after a good meat binge. :smile: However, it's important to keep in mind that everyone is different and much has to do with your activity level. If you're lifting regularly, you have higher protein requirements than someone who is sedentary.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    From what I recall in an MD's LC video..more insulin is dumped into the system when a high amount f protein is added…we can't store it as fat, so it must be broken down immediately, and hence the inulin.

This is not a negative remark on protein BUT it does take a lot more systems involvement to process meat vs plant protein, and there is oxidative waste left over that doesn't occur with plants…a healthy body can remove/dump this 'trash', but an unhealthy set of kidneys cannot..so this is why knowing your health is important before starting a higher protein or muscle building diet. ( as example if an over 60 female, not so in shape, with metabolic issues, or on meds, suddenly began a meat only LC diet for months..then it would be most important to be sure all systems were go. Our bodies are resilient, but better to be safe.
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I've been increasing fats when my protein has gotten too high (>65g). Is this the right thing to do? I'm trying to stay at <16g carbs, 108g fat, & 65g protein. I'm between sedentary & lightly active. And confused.
  • gonebeast
    gonebeast Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    According to Stephanie Person in YouTube, who's been doing keto for 6 years and looks amazing at 48, she says that too much protein will kick you out of ketosis. For me I dont think I need more than 100g of protein but I dont really know. Keto puts u in a constant anabolic state, so if im not wrong, that would mean that every gram of protein goes into the muscle.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    gonebeast wrote: »
    According to Stephanie Person in YouTube, who's been doing keto for 6 years and looks amazing at 48, she says that too much protein will kick you out of ketosis. For me I dont think I need more than 100g of protein but I dont really know. Keto puts u in a constant anabolic state, so if im not wrong, that would mean that every gram of protein goes into the muscle.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I can't speak to the anabolic state and direct protein to muscle application, but here is how to determine your protein needs.

How to Calculate Your Protein Needs
    I realized today that I had saved this post in my email to copy and send to people when they ask, but that I never took the time to make it a post here, so....let's correct that right now, shall we?

Protein is necessary to maintain your current muscles while losing weight. It also gives you additional building blocks to build more muscle, and keeps you feeling fuller with your meals.

Your protein needs should be based on your lean body mass (everything that isn't body fat). For Women, that is 0.6 grams to 1 gram per pound of LBM, depending on your activity levels (less for sedentary, more for weight lifting and high levels of activity). For men, the grams per pound of lean body mass is a different range (0.8 grams minimum - 1.2 grams when heavy lifting, etc. Only major body builders go above that - and then on specialized programs)...

For example, my body fat is around 45%. I weigh about 245. (I'm 38 year old female, 5'4" tall.) So, here are my numbers. If my Body Fat is 45%, what remains is 55% - so I have approximately 55% of LBM. (If you need links to pictures or calculators based on measurements and such to approximate your BF%, let me know)... SO:
    55% * 245 = 134.75 pounds of lean body mass x 0.6 grams (sedentary) = 80.85 OR 134.75 x 1 gram (lifting weights or running) = 134.75.

This means when I'm inactive, I need a minimum of around 81 grams of protein a day to maintain my current muscles. If I'm lifting weights or running, I need at least 135 grams or so of protein a day... so my protein range is 81 grams - 135 grams a day, and going over that by up to half (so up to a little over 200 grams of protein a day) is no big deal as long as I get my other macros and good nutrition....
    If you have any questions, don't hesitate to holler!

NOTES
    So, all that being said, I personally think the reason that the calculations are based on LBM, calculated is due to the fact that Body Fat is more easily quantifiable - and bone, etc. weight is reasonably averaged across multiple types, and the difference in these factors makes up the reasonable swag so to speak to account for the differences between people.

Even though these ranges exist, figuring out exactly what works for your own body at this current time (we need to recalculate and adjust since our body is not a closed system). Everyone is different. Even identical twins with similar statisics might have different numbers due to their own body functions.

I would recommend rechecking these numbers every 10 pounds lost (same as calorie and water adjustments) or every 4 weeks (because we can always lose inches and fat even if the scale doesn't change).
  • cape239
    cape239 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Check this website out. It should assist you in calculating your protein needs: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com
  • deoxy4
    deoxy4 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    PPumpItUp wrote: »
    I guess the protein is supposed to convert to glucose but even that has controversies around it. Some people say it does happen and others say it does not.

Check out the work of John Kiefer. He says it can't happen. His work on carb back-loading is interesting.

http://athlete.io/3060/does-protein-make-you-fat-the-shocking-truth/