Worried about week 5

Options
shanellef05
shanellef05 Posts: 17 Member
I start week 5 day 1 tomorrow. I'm a little worried I won't be able to do it. Well let me rephrase that. One part of my brain says I won't be able to do it and the other part says yes the **** you can... Pardon my language :) People on this week or that have passed this week, is it terribly difficult to get through? I guess I'm just curious.

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    It's not a particularly difficult week physically. Mentally, it's a whole different story and a major milestone.

YOU'VE DONE IT. You run for 5 weeks with steadily increasing difficulty. Every week (probably) you've looked at the upcoming runs and had a minute of self-doubt. And then you did them.

Same thing with this week. You have everything you need to get through it. Go slow. Breathe.

And crush it.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    shanellef05 - I actually found week 5 FINE physically.

I slowed down more than I ever thought possible and just kept on running.

Around the 8 minute mark I wanted to stop, but i conivinced myself to get to at least 10, then I would allow myself a 30 second walk before carrying on running.

The next time I thought about the time, 15 minutes had passed and there was NO WAY I was giving up with 5 minutes to go!!!

You can defnitely get through this, don't panic, slow down, and zone out :)
  • SenoraMacias
    SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    W5D3 terrified me. I ran the first 16 minutes of the 20 pretty well, and then I thought "OMG I have to walk"... but then the earlier runs kicked in and I said to myself, "you've got 4 more minutes. You've been running 4 minutes for like 2 weeks now." When I framed it like that in my mind, I was able to keep pushing and I did run the entire thing without walking. The key is pace- when you want to walk, just slow wayyyyyy down, but keep your running form. You can do it!
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    It is tougher mentally than physically. By this time your body will be prepared. The difference is getting past the mental block. When you get towards the end of the run, forget about how long you have already run and concentrate only on the amount left. Tell your mind...I can do this. 3 minutes is only the length of a song and I can do this!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    You're ready for this.
    Week 5 is a mentally challenging week but you are ready and you CAN do this. Your body is ready but it will complain. Your brain will have to be ready to push back. As others have said, concentrate on the time you have left; not the time you've already run. Also, try hard not to look at your time for as long as possible. Just keep going, slow and steady.
    It's a huge thrill to finish this week and such a booster of confidence.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I'm nervous about day 3 too, but I'm going to give it my best shot. I know that if I let my fear get the best of me and don't try I definitely won't make it, but if I get out there and try, I will be able to do it. Good luck!