Here's one amazing thing about eating low-carb...

Options
Monklady123
Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
edited June 2015 in Social Groups
I know, this is old news to those of you who have been doing this for awhile. But I'm pretty new to this diet, and new to the forums...

Anyway, my amazing thing is this: I ate breakfast this morning at around 8:00 -- half an avocado, 1 oz of cashews and a small nectarine. And coffee of course. And here it is 11:30 and I am just now getting a tiny bit hungry. My old way of eating breakfast was coffee and toast with butter and jelly, or cold cereal with milk. Both of those caused me to get that sudden shaky must-eat-everything-in-sight kind of hunger at mid-morning. So then of course I'd eat anything I could find. -- My hunger now is just ordinary hunger and it can wait until a bit later for lunch.

Pretty amazing. lol. And yeah, old news to you old-timers. But I am SO HAPPY to be feeling better. :)

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    It's so true. When I started, I worried about bringing snacks and "emergency" food when I went out. Just in case I couldn't find a good low-carb option when I was out and got hungry. I no longer stress about it. I just know that, one, there are plenty of options and, two, if I can't find something I want then I can wait for hours until I do find something I want. I'm never "starving" anymore.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    My body has certain cycles it goes thru.

In the morning I do some cardio on my 40!grams or so of protein and 15 carbs maybe, and coffee and coconut oil as creamer

I finished a hard leg workout. Like shaky legs leaving the gym. In not hungry but I will feed the machine as required.

I don't get cravings for food often. I do try and feed the machine regularly.

The low fuel light on my car is how I think of it. I know it needs gas. So I also need fuel.

• CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was the test. I go to LA once a week (haven't been in two weeks, since I started counting carbs) and on the way back I am absolutely STARVING unless I bring a full course meal. Well, on the way home yesterday I was still very hungry but I didn't feel like I was going to die or kill anyone... lol. So that is progress. Ate two burgers with cheese when I got home, waited about 30 minutes and was good to go. I love that the out of control shaky feeling is gone, and being in tune with what our bodies need is wonderful.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I used to keep nuts and such in my desk when I started, but lately all I keep around are some bouillon cubes in case I drink too much water and need to re-balance my sodium. Thinking of bringing in a jar of pickles instead (less additives, I'm hoping). But yeah, you don't need the constant fueling and it's fantastic! I got stuck on a train and the overhead PA was broken (but only after we switched engines) so I never heard the announcement that the cafe car was open, and I sat all day without anything but a bit of jerky and a tiny bottle of water. Thinking back to the other leg of the trip, not visiting the cafe car was the better option. :D We did eat a big dinner when we finally got to our destination, but I can't imagine surviving 11 hours without a single meal on any other WOE.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Yes. I used to crash hard if I went past meal time, shakes, mental slowness, ill feeling, no strength, mood crash. My SO used to say I would just get completely "dull". Then as soon as I ate, I would come back to life. Thinking back, I remember even as a child being this way. So it is a complete change for me now to not experience that crash.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    God. I remember before I went slow carb I ate lunch with two friends every day. if lunch was delayed by a few minutes even I'd get cranky and start sniping!

I still keep a small bag of peanuts in my bag, and have a quest bar in the glove box, but they stay there a long time!

ETA: interesting that with menopause I have some of the same symptoms. ha!
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new at this, but I feel like my hunger pangs have switched from "mandatory" to "optional". And that's a great feeling! No gnawing, painful hunger. I don't know how I'd be doing after 11 hours without food, but I can now easily go an hour or two past my first hunger pang, without getting all out of sorts.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I agree! The blood sugar rollercoaster induced by carbage intake is one I was glad to get off of too! :smile:
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    My husband knew that if I started to get snippy, he had to feed me! I was the original snickers commercial! I couldn't even fast for religious days (and technically they weren't true fasts) But on this WOE I am sooo much better. I can even fast for 36 hours!
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    My husband knew that if I started to get snippy, he had to feed me! I was the original snickers commercial! I couldn't even fast for religious days (and technically they weren't true fasts) But on this WOE I am sooo much better. I can even fast for 36 hours!

Oh my days.. 36 hours?! That's insane! I know i would never be able to do that. But going from 8pm to 3.30pm on just a 1 BPC yesterday was momentus for me. Sadly hasnt been the case today (she says as she sits munching on her 10,000th pork scratching)

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new at this, but I feel like my hunger pangs have switched from "mandatory" to "optional". And that's a great feeling! No gnawing, painful hunger. I don't know how I'd be doing after 11 hours without food, but I can now easily go an hour or two past my first hunger pang, without getting all out of sorts.
    God. I remember before I went slow carb I ate lunch with two friends every day. if lunch was delayed by a few minutes even I'd get cranky and start sniping!

I still keep a small bag of peanuts in my bag, and have a quest bar in the glove box, but they stay there a long time!

ETA: interesting that with menopause I have some of the same symptoms. ha!

Ditto Sabine & M, the above is me. I remember when I started on the Keto group, they had made up a word that I thought was so appropriate when I was a carb-eater:

"Hangry" = Hungry + Angry (get the hell out of my way, I've got to eat NOW!)

That was me pre-Keto, now I can chill out. Sometimes I am out and about and getting things done, and I won't pause to eat like I used to. How convienent!

Dan the Man from Michigan
    My MFP Profile
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Oh my days.. 36 hours?! That's insane! I know i would never be able to do that.

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised. It could be easier than you think.
    http://bradpilon.com/weight-loss/what-will-eat-stop-eat-do-for-me/
    http://rippedbody.jp/how-to-use-intermittent-fasting-to-eat-like-a-king-and-keep-your-abs-this-holiday-season/