Band to RNY...oh my!

Chantel473
Chantel473 Posts: 2 Member
Hello y'all! New to the chat area here. I am just over one month post op for gastric bypass. That surgery was a revision of the evil lap-band I had!
So now here I am trying to figure out how to do the whole new bariatric patient thing again. The doc was great, lots of support, blah blah...but really on my own and responsible for my own results. I have to learn new dishes to really thrive on. Learn new activity levels...that's a killer for me. I want to run a little and go back to at least 5k runs. But I am exhausted when I even try. grrrr. I am sure it will happen in time. I am not the most patient person in the world I admit. I am a little early for running. I just want to soar....now. haha
I think I sound a little like I have ADHD.

Replies

• LunaGuido
    LunaGuido Posts: 115 Member
    Hi! Welcome - congratulations on your decision to have surgery again. I know that couldn't have been easy. I had RNY on 2/19/15 and am so happy with it so far. I'm down 78 pounds and feel a lot healthier. This is a great forum for advice. Be patient with yourself - you'll get back up to speed in no time! Good luck on everything going forward!

Jen
  • Trayjay33
    Trayjay33 Posts: 122 Member
    Chantel473 wrote: »
    Hello y'all! New to the chat area here. I am just over one month post op for gastric bypass. That surgery was a revision of the evil lap-band I had!
    So now here I am trying to figure out how to do the whole new bariatric patient thing again. The doc was great, lots of support, blah blah...but really on my own and responsible for my own results. I have to learn new dishes to really thrive on. Learn new activity levels...that's a killer for me. I want to run a little and go back to at least 5k runs. But I am exhausted when I even try. grrrr. I am sure it will happen in time. I am not the most patient person in the world I admit. I am a little early for running. I just want to soar....now. haha
    I think I sound a little like I have ADHD.

Hi, I can relate as well because I had revision and was on my own pretty much. The resources are there if you look and it's so much easier to see results and learn new healthier habits than with the band in my opinion. In the beginning I would suggest rest, let your body heal and focus on getting through the food stages. After your cleared to be more active take it slow watch your intake to output and get your water in. There's a risk of dehydration with not getting your water in. Also keep up the best you can with your vitamins. This will also help with your energy and healing. Hoping the best for you.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    I revised lap band to VSG 2 weeks ago and the exhaustion is still there. My surgeon told me it can take a couple of months to stop feeling tired all the time. For now, walk instead of run until you can work up to running. My bariatric coordinator said to walk 2 minutes the first day if that's all I could do and add a minute every day until I can build up to more.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    I will caution you (not sure how far out postop you are) about too much exercise too soon. My mom was one of those who over did her activity after her RNY and ended up giving herself a hernia, which had to be surgically repaired. You'll get there, but the docs have activity limits in place for a reason. As for the exhaustion, it was the worst the first 3 weeks. Better the next month, and now at 2mo postVGS, I'm 2 weeks into C25k and using that to stairstep up my exercise.

Also make sure you're getting your 60+ grams of protein every day, it makes a huge difference in my energy when I only hit 55 vs 65-70g. Tracking here is great, and keeps me honest vs estimating. My day isn't complete until MFP yells at me for not hitting 1000 calories for the day.