very low BG

Options
Lizzym911
Lizzym911 Posts: 301 Member
I was gone on vacation for a week in Arizona and I'm wondering if anyone has had an experiance like this, I don't know if it was caused by change of altitude or what but it really freaked me out. The first night I was there we went for pizza and was sure my BG was going to be high but an hour after dinner it was 94.the next day we were out and about and I didn't really eat much till dinner which was chicken tostadas and Spanish rice,I didn't check my BG before bed but took my meds and insulin andwent to bed.i woke up about an hour later sip oaken in sweat,shaking ,nauseated and disoriented. I checked my BG and it was 25,I was terrified and my sis brought me cake and soda and I checked it 10 mins later and it was the same so she brought me a cup cake, after 15 mins my BG was 40 and still feeling sick so she brought me fruit. I finally hit 84 and decided I was ok to go to be but within 5 minutes I got the worst body cramps from my knees up to my chest,so my sister looked online to see hoe to stop them and found someone took a spoon of mustard and it helped so she gave me a spoon of mustard and I thin a few mins they were totally gone. I told my sisters friend who is a health care provider and she said I should have called 911 and the cramps were from my body going into shock. I never want to go through that again. Has anyone ever had their BG drop that low?

Replies

• robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I've never had a reading that low but i have had a hypo which was a bit scary, sweating, shaking, nausea etc. I now carry glucose tablets eg dextrose in case of a similar thing happening. For me, chewing 4-6 glucose tablets brought rapid relief. The glucose tablets have the advantage that they give a measured dose of glucose, unlike cake or a sugary drink. I also carry tubes of Glucogel which are even more rapidly absorbed and have the advantage of being able to be rubbed on the gums of a diabetic who is unable to chew the tablets. Hope this helps.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    I've had numbers on the low side of good, like 70something and 90, but, as far as I know, haven't felt too bad, maybe a tad tired. However, my Dr. only wants me to test before meals or treats, so it's okay by me because I can start "recharging" shortly after testing and feel great later. For example, in addressing my 70something late afternoon reading that day, I was feeling a tad blue/sluggish but "reset" after sipping a protein shake.
  • Lizzym911
    Options
    I've never had a reading that low but i have had a hypo which was a bit scary, sweating, shaking, nausea etc. I now carry glucose tablets eg dextrose in case of a similar thing happening. For me, chewing 4-6 glucose tablets brought rapid relief. The glucose tablets have the advantage that they give a measured dose of glucose, unlike cake or a sugary drink. I also carry tubes of Glucogel which are even more rapidly absorbed and have the advantage of being able to be rubbed on the gums of a diabetic who is unable to chew the tablets. Hope this helps.

Thank you for responding, I think I'm going to have to get more glucose tablets and carry them in every purse.also get the gel,it was so scary and I don't want that to happen again.

• Lizzym911
    Options
    zcb94 wrote: »
    I've had numbers on the low side of good, like 70something and 90, but, as far as I know, haven't felt too bad, maybe a tad tired. However, my Dr. only wants me to test before meals or treats, so it's okay by me because I can start "recharging" shortly after testing and feel great later. For example, in addressing my 70something late afternoon reading that day, I was feeling a tad blue/sluggish but "reset" after sipping a protein shake.

That night I tested like 6 times because I was going to drop again lol ,it's just annoying that I'm low or high .
  • jules6669mfp
    jules6669mfp Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Definately should be carrying glucose tablets with you. I can tell immediately when my sugar is low. 25 is extremely low and dangerous. I'm surprised you were coherent. Make sure your doctor knows how low you got as you may need to carry glucagon in case you are unable to take tabs or eat. A medical ID also do if you become unresponsive somebody could look through your purse for glucagon(injection) to help you. Ofcourse, prevention is your best defense. Make sure you eat!! I'm glad that you are ok. Scary stuff huh?
  • Lizzym911
    Options
    Definately should be carrying glucose tablets with you. I can tell immediately when my sugar is low. 25 is extremely low and dangerous. I'm surprised you were coherent. Make sure your doctor knows how low you got as you may need to carry glucagon in case you are unable to take tabs or eat. A medical ID also do if you become unresponsive somebody could look through your purse for glucagon(injection) to help you. Ofcourse, prevention is your best defense. Make sure you eat!! I'm glad that you are ok. Scary stuff huh?

The scary thing was I had eaten,I had eaten a bean and chicken tostada and a piece of coconut cake.i really don't understand how I dropped that low. I'm wondering if it was the change in altitude and weather.