Weekly Post 14.06.-20.06.15

Options
flumi_f
flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
Happy Sunday everyone! Time to start a new weekly post.

I'm watching my kite and my buzzard from my balcony this morning as most mornings in the last two weeks. And my basil and coriander are working on their second set of leaves! They are coming along very nicely :p I'm healing well and am able to see progress in my body and mobility every day, though I do need to take regular breaks and need my afternoon nap :)

I went for my first walk in the forest yesterday and enjoyed taking in the sounds and the smell. I will go again today as the forest is a huge source of strong but soothing energy for me.

Weight wise I've been strangely stabil in the last week or two. Glycogen stores seem to be filled again, so only small fluctuations have been seen on the scale. I'm still carrying 2kg more, than I'd like. My tummy is bloated for two reasons...water retention and swelling from the surgery and from some of the food I have eaten (grain carbs / simple sugars....so yummy and so not good for me :D ). A fast usually helps with the latter, thus I'm going for it. It's the first fast in two weeks and that last one was a failed one. I feel my body and mind need one today so off I go.

Have a wonderful week! B)

Replies

• flumi_f
    Options
    Travelling at the speed of snail today! Just came back from my walk in the forest. Everything freshly washed by the nights rain shower. 50min, 3-4k and not at my limit. Now very content and resting on my balcony again :)

dnfc87vnudx6.jpg
  • flumi_f
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Travelling at the speed of snail this morning on my walk in the forest. Slow but walking 50 minutes 12 days post op. I'm very happy with that ;-)

This is realtime...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f9on9zuvmqq16h0/20150614_103859.mp4?dl=0

Sorry for the double post. Couldn't delete the other one anymore.
  • flumi_f
    Options
    Found this in the general diet posting section. It is not 5:2, but is a good flow chart, when having trouble losing weight and not knowing why.

ulzh4togr4zj.jpg

• flumi_f
    Options
    Had my first successful fast in a long while yesterday. My main goal was to get rid of some of the water bloat due. It worked.... 0.7kg and 1inch of bloat off of my waist. Definitely feeling less tight on the inside now. Next fast on Tuesday.
  • cal0rina
    cal0rina Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Here goes. .....
    I need your help and support, I have been lurking but not posting as my mum died unexpectedly 5 weeks ago, I have been using food to numb myself and lacked theffocus and time to exercise. I know that food solves nothing and that exercise will soothe my overactive mind but can't quite find the oomph. She had a massive heart attack and was obese, mainly due to steroids but she also didn't believe in diets. What has helped you to get through something like this? I know its early and I have alot of grief to process, but stuffing my face isn't really doing me any favours and I need one less stick to beat myself with. .....
  • flumi_f
    Options
    Really sorry to hear what you've been going through.

Walks in the forest or along rivers soothed my mind while I was in a rough patch. Those walks were not about the burn. I also continued my fasts. Though most ended way too high, I still had days under tdee to even out some of the very high days. Gained a little during this time but not as much as I could have. Slowly getting back on track now. It has taken 6mth. Accepting my mind set helped me.

Keep trying, but be nice to yourself, if your fasts turn into normal days.
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Sorry too, cal0rina. Like flumi_f says, be kind to yourself. We are all here for you and will support you in any way we can. Food is a wonderful comfort, but other things that make you happy can help too. Focus on the little things and exercise that doesn't seem like exercise will help.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    cal0rina wrote: »
    Here goes. .....
    I need your help and support, I have been lurking but not posting as my mum died unexpectedly 5 weeks ago, I have been using food to numb myself and lacked theffocus and time to exercise. I know that food solves nothing and that exercise will soothe my overactive mind but can't quite find the oomph. She had a massive heart attack and was obese, mainly due to steroids but she also didn't believe in diets. What has helped you to get through something like this? I know its early and I have alot of grief to process, but stuffing my face isn't really doing me any favours and I need one less stick to beat myself with. .....

I‘m so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is, lost my adoptive dad at age 25. It is truly terrible to lose close family, it seems so absurd that one day they are there in all their both gloriously endearing and annoying manners. And suddenly time ran out and you can't tell them all the things you suddenly feel burns in your mind.

Allow yourself to grieve. Don't be «a good girl», sweetie. Even if it means you feel awful for a time. Putting lid on grief is emotionally expensive, and the price is partly paid in unwanted behaviour.

Try find something that is very concrete, almost mechanical. Something that is not too straining, yet gives you the freedom to let thoughts wander freely. Even if the thought of doing anything, like lifting feet on pavement seems unbearable. Walking, knitting, chopping wood, bicycling, drawing...something physical. That way you can allow yourself to be in the present, while still exploring the past if you wish to do so. Less overwhelming.

After I got the message that my bio Father is/was dying in January, the daily walks were my savior. Come snow or rain, out I walked and I'm absolutely sure they kept me sane. What I really love about the walks is that they're scaleable in length, speed and intensity to your daily mood or needs. Gentle or a workout.

As Flumi and Snaps said. Be kind to yourself. Is eating giving you the comfort you need? What do you really need or want instead of food? Losing parents is hard. In many ways it forces us to rethink who we are and who we wanna be.

If you want to pm me, you're welcome to do so. You're not alone.

Edit: Oh, forgot to say that we're all different and have different ways to solve our problems. If you want to grieve in a different manner, you're ofc entitled to do so.

• jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I too am sorry for your loss @cal0rina. It is normal to want to numb your feelings. You have lost someone very significant in your life. It is painful. I would just add to the other very excellent posts, is to find others to share your feelings with. The human touch can do wonders for our pain. Others can help us normalize and heal.
  • cal0rina
    cal0rina Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, it helps xx