Anyone using Erythritol? Any problems?

Options
britzen
britzen Posts: 143 Member
edited June 2015 in Social Groups
Day 3 of keto and doing well, but I'm looking for a sugar substitute. I won't use Stevia, equal, etc. And have been using Stevia. It's not bad, but occasionally it just doesn't pair well with some teas, sickening aftertaste. I was looking at Erythritol, but was wondering if it caused any problems for folks on keto. I limit my consumption of stevia to 3 drops a day, so I'm not planning going overboard with it.

Replies

• Kilcrop
    Kilcrop Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ruled.me recomend it. And reading their article made me want to try it. So thanks for the head up. So if someone use Erythritol I'm also intersted in knowing if it cause problems.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I've used and like both the granular (a bit cheaper) and the confectionary (finer- blends in cream easier) and I like both… I also got Truvia, which is sweeter than Erith…which is 74% of sugar 'taste'…

I got a ton of Truvia at our cheapo discount grocery, you can find really great deals of unexpired foods/overbuys, HH supplies etc..you can have fun for <$1. with some Finland crackers, or orange flavored Kale bites, or hempseed milk, and ice cream flavors you never heard of..( but I don't eat that...no no.) anyway I will continue to use both sweeteners, and I like Stevia too..
  • shagenefu
    shagenefu Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use erythritol pretty consistently but I sometimes pair it up with another zero carb sweetener because at large amounts used (for example making a dessert) it can cause gastric discomfort in some people. In large amounts I find that it definitely causes a cooling sensation similar to menthol which is not disgusting but it can be a bit off-putting if you're not used to it.
  • carltonstedman
    carltonstedman Posts: 18 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    shagenefu wrote: »
    at large amounts used (for example making a dessert) it can cause gastric discomfort in some people

aka s.hit yourself :)

I have a few things with it in it (monster zero and the very infrequent quest bar), but generally, a lot of folks find it easier in the longer run to recondition yourself to have a lower tolerance for sweets, e.g. get higher-quality tea/coffee and avoid desserts, diet soda, sweeteners, and such. Depends if you're a person that works better by moderating or avoiding things.

Good luck.
  • rebekahengle
    rebekahengle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have used it but I prefer mixing it with a little powdered stevia and using the combo. Mostly I've just tried citing back on the sweet things I eat since I don't really crave sugary stuff on keto.
  • britzen
    britzen Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My order just came in today, and even though everyone mentioned it, I was alarmed at the amount I had to use to equal 3 stevia drops. Definitely will mix, but since my OP, I'm adapting to the stevia taste. Perhaps i'll try cookng/baking with it, but for now I limit myself to a 1sweetened beverage a day, and trying to lower the sweetening each week.