Can't sleep at night so I eat.

Options
FatPixiee
FatPixiee Posts: 59 Member
I get really anxious at night. I struggle with ruminating thoughts about whatever people I've talked to during the day or what I have to do the next day. I will just lay there for an hour and then give up, get up and watch tv. My core feels so electric with anxiety, I wish I could just take a pill to make it stop, but the next best thing is mashed potatoes, or chef boyardee, anything warm and starchy that I can use to completely fill me up. It usually works and I am able to go back to sleep, not feeling so crazy. But at what cost??! I'll never lose if I'm using my food as medicine like this. :(

Replies

• tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    hmmm.. I have anxiety, but I find that stopping coffee has REALLY helped me. Don't know if you drink it, but it has helped me. Also this breathing exercise. I do it a lot because I can just lay there and my head will go and go and go and NEVER shut up!

Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
    Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
    Hold your breath for a count of seven.
    Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.

Repeat 3 or 4 times.
    I also build an evening snack into my calories. I am low carb, so it could be pork rinds or snow peas or a couple of pieces of Baby Bel. It doesn't matter. Even if its mashed potatoes, build it into your diet and you won't have guilt about it :wink: