First full week of Keto complete.

yablomx10
yablomx10 Posts: 34 Member
I've just completed my first full week of Keto. I stepped on the scale this afternoon only to see I've lost only 2 pounds. I got the ketostix so I know I have been in ketosis. I expected to have lost some more than 2 pounds the first week. I'm curious to hear what some of you experienced the first week?

Replies

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Welcome @Yablomx to the group & Keto,

Usually a person would lose more than that on the very first week. But 2 lbs isn't awful. We could help you better if we see your diary.

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • yablomx10
    Sorry I didn't realize that was something you could make public. I think it is now.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    You are definitely on the right track. Do a week, review, make small changes, and repeat. 2 lbs for the first week is good. You body needs to readjust a bit since this is new. Also, exercising holds water for a week or two but you firm and reshape, it's not just about the scale numbers. Take measurements too. One suggestion for this week is to reduce the processed meats (hot dogs, hamburger, pepperoni, and substitute 4-5 oz. steak. Add more fats, like bacon. Check in again next week, see what works for you. Good job. Keep at it.
  • VCanadapt
    VCanadapt Posts: 142 Member
    Welcome and congrats. 2lbs is a Win! (In my opinion) its 2 lbs that you don't have to lose this week :D
  • yablomx10
    Thank you! Thanks for the suggestions!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Ok, I looked at your last week. You are doing it very well. There was only one day you went over 50 g carbs. YAY! :) Here are my suggestions:

1) as soon as you feel you can handle it, lower your carbs to 20-30 g @ day. Have an absolute max of 40. If you shoot for a lower number, you're less likely to go over 40. Around 40g a day may or may not achieve ketosis. Consistently under 40 will.
    2) Shoot lower for a second reason, sometimes a person gets in a situation where they don't know exactly how many carbs they are eating because they can't weigh their food. Or its a homemade meal at a friend's house. Or you pick the wrong item in MFP, or someone put the wrong amounts of carbs on the entry you picked. Or, you forget to log some items, or the serving size is 1/4 cup and you get heavy handed on how you pile up that 1/4 cup. I do this with nuts. :( So, I set my calories back 200 @ day from the recommended amount for all the above reasons. Yes, I do go over, but I'm truer to my daily goal. I also do a water fast once a week to make up for my overages/indiscretions.
    3) Then after a few weeks of doing the above, maybe start lowering your calories and carbs a notch, do that for a few weeks and see how it goes.
    4) If you're going to err on any macro, go over on fat. But not carbs. In your mind, if you're over 30 carbs @ a day, make that feel like you've had a bad day.

That's my two cents,

Let me know how it goes,

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs
    How I got Off of Diabetic Prescriptions Drugs Since I Started Keto
    Blog #11 Really Good Keto Websites
    Low Carb Discussion Group on MFP (LCD)
    Ketogenic Diet Discussion Group on MFP

• nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Good Job!!! 2 lbs is awesome!! Thats about what I lost on my first week. I was already fairly low carb, so I don't think I had as much water weight to lose. Try not to focus quite as much on the scale weight. I know thats hard to do....that stupid scale is addictive...I know.

Take measurements during your journey, and photographs!! Try on clothes that previously didn't fit at all, or that didn't fit well. These will be your true guides to actual fat loss, if that is your goal. Remember that your scale is really only one tool in your toolbox, and probably the least reliable (aside from those ketostix things).