Better rough TDEE estimate than 5 level chart

Options
heybales
heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
So TDEE levels chart, Sedentary, Moderately Active, ect.

Many really have trouble estimating what level they are at, when some charts says days of exercise a week, some saying hrs weekly, ect. And then they only speak of exercise time, what about active jobs?

So I do 3 hrs of gym classes, what level am I, Lightly or Moderately Active?
I do 3 hrs of lifting weekly, before my waitress job on my feet moving for 6 hrs daily x 4 days, is that Lightly Active?
I do 4 hrs weekly walking, 3 hrs gym classes weekly, is that Very Active?

So of course I'd recommend using my spreadsheet with better Activity Calculator to nail that down.
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/961054-spreadsheet-for-bodyfat-bmr-tdee-progress-tracker

But some people want the rough estimate and adjust from there, or their activity changes enough they don't want to try to nail down too specific of a routine.

So that chart is based on a straight line formula (0 hrs - 1.2 factor, 2 - 1.375, 4 - 1.55, 6 - 1.725).
So if you have an active job on your feet, consider those hrs as 1/8 the actual time (40 hrs nurse feet time is 5 hrs).
If you walk as exercise, consider that time as 1/2 the actual time (4 hrs weekly walking is 2 hrs).
Other exercise is straight time.

(Weekly movement hrs x 0.0875) + 1.2 = Activity Factor you multiply your BMR by.

So to the examples:
(3 hr gym time x 0.0875) + 1.2 = 1.4625 Activity Factor x BMR say 1500 = 2194 TDEE
(3 hr lifting + 1/8 of 24 hrs work x 0.0875) + 1.2 = 1.725 x 1500 = 2588
(3 hr gym + 1/2 of 4 hrs walking x 0.0875) + 1.2 = 1.6375 x 1500 = 2556

BMR is of course best estimated with Katch and bodyfat %, next best is Mifflin BMR that MFP uses.

Just realized, why not a better rough estimate for those that don't want best estimates.

Replies

• MyFitGrlSwag
    MyFitGrlSwag Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Bumpity Bump!
  • BluthLover
    BluthLover Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Ok this is all way over my head! I lift an hour a week and do cardio for 5.5 hours a week. I am a stay at home mom so I'm on my feet a fair amount during the day. Any ideas? How accurate do you think Body Medias are?
  • skbarton
    skbarton Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Ok this is all way over my head! I lift an hour a week and do cardio for 5.5 hours a week. I am a stay at home mom so I'm on my feet a fair amount during the day. Any ideas? How accurate do you think Body Medias are?

I *think* heybales' new estimate formula would give you a personal multiplier of 1.53. So if your BMR is 1400, then your estimated TDEE would be 2142. (1 hour lifting plus half of your walking time is 3.75. Multiply 3.75 by .0875 and then add 1.2).

I tried this out with an estimate of my activities and it came out pretty close to what my Fitbit is estimating. I can't answer about the Body Media.
  • aprilcarlson
    Options
    bump
  • heybales
    Options

Then use the spreadsheet referenced and just enter your time under what applies.

Because just has you are having trouble picking from 5 TDEE levels, we are too without more details.
    How many hrs on feet with kids daily?
    What is cardio, walking doesn't count as much?

Add those hrs together x 0.0875, add 1.2, there's your TDEE activity factor, which may be exactly the same as an activity factor, or right smack inbetween levels.

Multiply by BMR, there's TDEE.

BodyMedia's depend on if the sensors are good at reading you for non-moving time.
    If not, then it assumes calculated BMR calories for all non-moving time, and that may be over or under estimated according to better BMR calculation. And then for moving time, depends on if you do exercise it is good as estimating calories on. Lifting, rowing, non-step stuff is under-estimated.
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    ^^^Agree my NEAT from being a mum, wife, working and looking after our block of land & animals puts me nearly two levels above my exercise only. I think my multiplier is 1.6 at the moment(winter here) and in summer its more as I'm outside more about 1.71
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Sub!
  • BluthLover
    BluthLover Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Ok thank you !
  • JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • songbird1973
    Options
    Bump
  • heybales
    Options
    So I probably should have put in original post, the standard Harris TDEE chart is based on a straight line formula that I gave above.

Some have asked how I made the formula up. I didn't, it's what they used.
    They could have made the table with 7 or 8 levels, having an Activity Factor for each hour.

Activity Level - Hours - Activity Factor (BMR Multiplier)
    Sedentary - __0___ - 1.2
    Lightly Act - __1 - 3_ - 1.375
    Mod Act__ - __3 - 5_ - 1.55
    Very Act__ - __6 - 7_ - 1.725
    Extreme_ - __2 x___ - 1.9

If you plot out the following data points they use.
    Hrs - Factor
    0 - 1.2
    2 - 1.375
    4 - 1.55
    6.5 - 1.725

You get a straight line formula - (hrs x 0.0875) + 1.2 = TDEE

The only question remaining is, how do you count your hours of increased daily activity or exercise between couple different types?

That's what the OP is touching on, how to count your time so you don't get inflated TDEE, but do include increased daily activity perhaps.
  • aprilcarlson
    Options
    bump
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • natesangel
    natesangel Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    great advice! for those curious but haven't tried it, the spreadsheet is super easy (i was hesitant at first) and a HUGE HELP! if you are in doubt, then pls check it out! it gives so many options based on your level of understanding to start with just a simple tweak, or go all out and pinpoint with precision! and the simple start is as simple as getting the spreadsheet and punching in the same numbers you would use for anything else on here, with the addition of your actual hours spent per day doing things!
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    For later... Bump
  • lynty2
    lynty2 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • leedebter
    leedebter Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Insanity 45 min/6 days a week and cycling 2.75 hours a week for a total of 7.25 hours a week. This gives me 1.83 I think and my BMR is 1501 so my TDEE would be 2746? And a 20 percent cut would be 2196 calories a day??? I've been eating 1800 and I haven't seen any progress. Any advise?