Nutrient dense foods

Options
farmers_daughter
farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
I suck at google searching, I really do. Either that or I'm picky, but I'm not eating:
Seaweed
Kale
Potatoes or
Liver
What are some nutrient dense low carb foods that you really enjoy. I can find all kinds of low carb stuff it's just what defines nutrient dense to you.

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Despite the hype, kale isn't any more nutrient dense than any other lettuces. Spinach is actually as good or better on most fronts, and Romaine is a close follower, so don't feel bad about that.

Liver is a powerhouse, though, and is worth experimenting to get a little into your diet at least sometimes. Grinding it up into your ground meats helps. If you can buy from a butcher, you can often special order it ground in with hamburger. It still doesn't mean you can't live without it, but if any of the superfoods are worth a few tries at getting it in, liver is that food.

That said, though, just stick to real foods and you'll have plenty of nutrient density. Meat, vegetables, real butter, etc. Contrary to popular belief, these items (yes, even butter) are quite nutrient dense and aren't just balls of amino and fatty acids.
  • _Virgo_
    _Virgo_ Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Liver is very strong, but I find if I fry it with butter and then smother it with peppers and onions it really helps with the flavor a lot.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I like Liver or Kidney added to a beef stew for an extra rich gravy.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I feel that pretty much everything I eat is nutrient dense, but my old way of eating was terrible. Basically just bread, margarine, milk chocolate and chips.

Avocados, nuts, meats, mushrooms and broccoli are my favourites.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Despite the hype, kale isn't any more nutrient dense than any other lettuces. Spinach is actually as good or better on most fronts, and Romaine is a close follower, so don't feel bad about that.

Liver is a powerhouse, though, and is worth experimenting to get a little into your diet at least sometimes. Grinding it up into your ground meats helps. If you can buy from a butcher, you can often special order it ground in with hamburger. It still doesn't mean you can't live without it, but if any of the superfoods are worth a few tries at getting it in, liver is that food.

That said, though, just stick to real foods and you'll have plenty of nutrient density. Meat, vegetables, real butter, etc. Contrary to popular belief, these items (yes, even butter) are quite nutrient dense and aren't just balls of amino and fatty acids.

I've also seen a ton of the newer "healthier" cooks using 2-4 oz of liver to 1-2 pounds of other ground beef/meat mince and have been told the taste is negligible, though I haven't confirmed that yet myself.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I have no problems with butter for sure!!! Real butter!!! God where has it been all my life?? (ha ha don't answer that) we don't do hamburger, like beef burger, I use venison all year round (as long as we shoot one! :wink: )
    I did see nuts, like cashews those would be easy to throw into stuff and the kids would love it.

Spinach is another one that I get along good with.

How does one really tell if it's nutrient dense? I mean I get the obvious processed items are not, but just wondered.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I have no problems with butter for sure!!! Real butter!!! God where has it been all my life?? (ha ha don't answer that) we don't do hamburger, like beef burger, I use venison all year round (as long as we shoot one! :wink: )
    I did see nuts, like cashews those would be easy to throw into stuff and the kids would love it.

How does one really tell if it's nutrient dense? I mean I get the obvious processed items are not, but just wondered.

FYI, cashews are the highest carb nut out there. Better to go with almonds or something unless done in very small doses.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    In general, for veggies the darker the green color or the brighter the Reds and purple, the more nutrient dense. Go for dark leafy greens- spinach, broccoli, cabbage, mustard greens, etc. And go for brightly colored veggies-- red cabbage, peppers, tomatoes, etc.

I know you said you don't want to eat liver, and I respect that, but it is one of the most nutrient dense foods around. That and other organ meats, like heart, kidney, gizzards, tongue. I like chicken liver pâté, just eat it with a spoon and skip the crackers :).

Chicken gizzards are easy to throw in the bottom of the slow cooker along with whatever else you're making to get a nice snackable protein.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

FYI, cashews are the highest carb nut out there. Better to go with almonds or something unless done in very small doses.

Lowest carb are macadamias, walnuts (make sure to buy fresh ones as rancid ones from the grocery store will turn you off walnuts for life, lol), and pecans. I loooove raw macadamia nuts in my chicken & blue cheese salad.

re: organ meats - I only like tongue, but it's hard to find here, you have to order it from the butcher. I can taste liver or kidney even if it's only a tiny amount in a recipe and it has always made me gag. Noone has ever successfully hidden those meats from me in a recipe. I'll get my heme iron elsewhere thanks...