Just joined - some strength training?

kikomansauce
kikomansauce Posts: 59 Member
Hello,
I recently joined to see how people get over humps and get their body toned instead of just cardio x1000. I'm wondering what're out there for some awesome strength training? I'm really not a person to go to the gym and do weight lifting... But perhaps some in-home strength exercises, with dumbbells or anything else?
Thank you :)

Replies

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    FitnessRum.com. Amazing. :)
  • SarahJurina
    SarahJurina Posts: 38 Member
    Hi Chickie how are you?

I just started strength training over the last week-and-a-half. I found out (through much study) that women are supposed to lift heavy weights. I always though 5lb. max was for me when lifting, and that was during cardio. Now I've realized I need to lift heavier - I use 15 lb per hand for chest presses, and squats, and 25 lb. total for dead lifts - And I just started! I found some strength training on fitnessblender.com and I want to couple that with a couple kettlebell videos I found on there as well.

Kettlebells are strength training, but since you are swinging them around you get a completely different workout. Very effective. I went out at bought a 15lb. kettlebell a few weeks ago for this purpose, and I use it for almost every kettlebell exercise.

And finally, I have cut down on cardio, but I still do some cardio with strength training - Low impact, nothing that will kill me, but enough to burn more calories. I am excited to see results with this!
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    I second Kettlebells. I hate, hate, hate weight lifting at the gym, but I think kettlebells are fun. I like Zuzka Light workouts (she has a YouTube channel, but I bought her CDs and love them)
    I also bought a 15 lb kettlebell. I first bought one of the plastic ones filled with sand that were cheap at Ross of TJ Maxx, but I found too bulky and awkward to do all the exrcises properly and not hit myself. lol.
    So I spent a little bit more for a 'real" one from Amazon and I love it.
  • SarahJurina
    Yeah, I got mine and it's plastic, I think from Wal Mart. It was the cheapest because I'm on a budget, but I'd like to get a second 15 lb. one just for lifting purposes - Perhaps a better one this time.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    I have this one now:
    http://www.amazon.com/CAP-Barbell-15--Pounds-Kettlebell/dp/B003J9HKYI/ref=sr_1_2?s=sports-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1434576071&sr=1-2&keywords=15+lb+kettlebell

and it is soooo much better than my plastic one. It is not fancy and some purists will say that it isn't a real- REAL one; but it works well for me and it was not too expensive.
  • SarahJurina
    Ooo, yes, that's what I want. I just never thought to purchase a weight through Amazon. Thanks, I bookmarked it and I will buy that when I get a paycheck ;)
    5050110 Posts: 12 Member
    >awesome strength training

Let me be honest with you: if you want to do proper strength training, i.e. get stronger and a nice shape, you are not going to get around lifting heavy weights. It's also the best bang for your buck. Compound exercises: less lifts, less time, more muscles are being used = quicker results.

Working with dumbbells at home is a start but nothing really effective for the long term because you are still missing out on the basic exercises that utilize your core and require overall stability.

I've heard people "toning up" by doing pilates and body weight exercises. I'd say this is a reasonable start, but again, if you dodge lifting it will take you much longer to get the results you want.

Try a body weight exercise book like "You Are Your Own Gym" (Clark & Lauren). They have other books such as this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Body-You-Guide-Womens-Fitness/dp/0345528972

Save your money. All that home equipment stuff will just be lying around after a few months and you'll have to sell off on ebay or give it away to some friends.
  • kikomansauce
    kikomansauce Posts: 59 Member
    Yea, I'm trying to avoid lifting mostly because of the cost - tight budget. I'm wanting to see if there were any strength exercises that I could do without needing a gym or too much equipment... The book looks interesting, I might try that out!