Someone once told me...

Options
Someone once told me that their 50s were the best years of their life and now I see why.
My kids are successfully launched, I have a grandbaby (aren't they wonderful!), I have a deeper level of faith, and I've lived long enough to see that even difficult things in life do eventually get better. I don't take things as seriously and I take time to enjoy the simple pleasures in life.

How about you? What is something that someone once told you, about growing older, that you now find to be true? Let's spend a minute together to appreciate where we are in life!

Replies

• marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    Youth is wasted on the young. They don't appreciated what they have. I love being where I am mentally. It would be nice for my body to be in the same boat, but not going to let that stop me from enjoying life. I don't think I am old, in fact for the most part, I can't stand old people. At least the ones I am around, just commiserating about their aches and pain. Wishing they could do this that or the other. Granted we are all limited by our bodies, but some things we can do and wishing won't make it happen. Didn't think I would ever be able to lose weight or run. Done! What next? You don't have to stop living just because you are older.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    My mother told me that my husband and I would enjoy this time in our lives enormously. And......she was right. We do what we want, pretty much when we want, and don't have the kids to worry about or answer to. The worry was difficult to give up but we managed......hehehe. We still work, as we have our own business and just aren't quite ready to give it up yet, but we take time off when we want and enjoy doing fun things together and with our friends. It really is a blessing to be happy and healthy. I didn't realize how important my health was until it was threatened several years ago but now I get it in spades. I do wish I would have taken that advice a little earlier.............. ;)
  • SpeedRacer13
    SpeedRacer13 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am single with no kids..and although I agree, the 50's can be the best times of our lives...I don't feel that way about my life. Although I look great, feel great and can do whatever I would like, I am living in an ageist society here in San Diego. I am pretty much ignored by men and don't like that at all!!
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am very happy, I didn't think I would make it this far. I didn't pay much attention to older people when growing up, but now have found out they were mostly right. Now I don't pay much attention to the younger people. I just retired, so I just do what I like to do and don't worry about much anymore. I live in a great place, not to big, not to small and has allot of activities. So now I am trying to take better care of myself, live as long as possible, stay alert and active.
  • downongreenacres
    downongreenacres Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Health (and fitness) really is a big factor isnt it? I work in a small town hospital and I see a fair amount of people my age, 54, that are a mess and its sad. Then I also see a fair amount of elderly farmers and such that are 20 or 30 years older than I am and still strong and active. At the fitness center that is attached to the hospital, theres a gentleman in his 90s that can out-do me any day of the week! Its a real eye opener. I want to be like that!
  • RuefulRabbit
    RuefulRabbit Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Despite my weight and other health issues, I am pretty happy with my life. Mrs. Rabbit and I just celebrated our 18th anniversary. She is all my heart, all my soul, and all the warmth in this world. We have been together for two decades, and it's been the best twenty years of my life.
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Someone once told me - "You are responsible for manufacturing your own luck in life."
    This certainly fits when it comes to our health and fitness. As I've grown older, my mentors and elders have gotten so much smarter. I really enjoy having mixture of all ages actively involved in my life. I love to keep learning, whether it's from my elders, my children, or my grandsons. The fun part is sometimes I can see the world through their eyes, the experience of an older generation or the innocence of a child. It makes my life complete.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Someone once told me, "You make a better door than a window". At the time I was standing in front of the television set.
  • downongreenacres
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    Someone once told me, "You make a better door than a window". At the time I was standing in front of the television set.

HA! That reminds me of my mother :smile:
  • downongreenacres
    Options
    BRaye325 wrote: »
    Someone once told me - "You are responsible for manufacturing your own luck in life."
    This certainly fits when it comes to our health and fitness. As I've grown older, my mentors and elders have gotten so much smarter. I really enjoy having mixture of all ages actively involved in my life. I love to keep learning, whether it's from my elders, my children, or my grandsons. The fun part is sometimes I can see the world through their eyes, the experience of an older generation or the innocence of a child. It makes my life complete.
    So true! I have a picture of my granddaughter peering down into a garden hose trying to figure it out...it just makes me smile to see how every little thing is something new and fascinating in her little mind. I love to see the world through her eyes! :smiley:

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Something to think about, I guess.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    ... that middle age is when your parents need you as much as your children do. My 3 daughters will all be in high school next year, so they still need a lot, but I can feel the pendulum swinging the other way.
  • downongreenacres
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    ... that middle age is when your parents need you as much as your children do. My 3 daughters will all be in high school next year, so they still need a lot, but I can feel the pendulum swinging the other way.

We are the sandwich generation.
    We are sandwiched between having children young enough to still need us, as well as parents who now need us as well. However both of my parents are gone now and I don't regret any of the time I spent caring for them.
    Our children learn a lot about compassion by how we treat the elderly and infirmed around us.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Very true!
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Someone once told me.... "Relax Live One Day At A Time"

Relax – When the waters of life get rough and you’re not sure about riding that next wave.

Live – Stay in the moment and enjoy your life, each day is the greatest gift, make the most of it.

One Day – Not tomorrow or the next day or next week or next year.

At A Time – Take on each event on its own merits. It didn’t exist yesterday or won’t tomorrow.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I often think back on my younger know-it-all self and chuckle at how little I actually knew about life. The black and white thought process has definitely given way to shades of grey as I've aged. I seem to mellow out more and more with each passing year and I definitely appreciate the little things in life more than I did when I was younger. Now...menopause symptoms haven't reared their ugly head yet (and if what my Mom went through was any indication, I'm in for a whopper), so I may be singing a different tune later!
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Someone once told me
    " don't count time ... Make Time Count!"
    I often think about what this really means??
    So I have concluded that I need to make the most of every day..
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    "just because a cat has kittens in the oven, it doesn't make them biscuits.'. Be who you were born to be.
  • downongreenacres
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    "just because a cat has kittens in the oven, it doesn't make them biscuits.'. Be who you were born to be.
    Ha! I love that one!!