Coconut oil by the spoonful

Options
_jayciemarie_
_jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
This morning before I left the house I felt hungry. I didn't have time to try to make BPC. So, I thought I would take a spoon and scoop out some Coconut oil and just swallow it. I put it in my mouth and kind of chewed on it to make it melt. I could tell that I didn't want to swallow it. Not because it tasted bad (It didn't taste like anything), but because of the texture. I did swallow it without gagging. (YAY me!!!). I chased it with a glass of water. I then took my daily meds. Ever since I took my meds I have felt like I was going to throw up. I've had that salty taste in my mouth and a very uneasy feeling. Has this happened to anyone else?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Yes, but with butter. I had the idiotic idea to eat a pat of cold butter. Almost threw up. I would sprinkle some salt in your mouth and swish water around. For whatever reason, salt kills other flavors in the mouth and settles the fat in the stomach. I maybe could melt it on my hands then lick it, but no way in he-ll am I eating it straight.

Might be worth investing in some 1 oz packets of coconut oil to keep in your purse to stir into at work coffee... I think Trader's Joe's carries them if I remember hearing right... I personally do mine at work, shaken in a bottle, daily. No time in the am to do all that mess.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Yup. This is why you have to start out slowly with coconut oil (and other fats, if you're not used to them at all). Standard reaction, coconut oil tolerance has to be built up. Fair warning, you may also get the runs.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    It is a mind over matter thing but I like the taste of coconut and I buy the unrefined so it has taste and smell.

Like Twibbly start slow can help.

Heavy Whipping Cream works well for pure fat for coating the stomach for meds. Yesterday I ate burgers with onions and tomatoes and had indigestion so when I got home I took about 4 oz of whipping cream and all was well at once. That is a quick 400 calories and to me tastes like boiled custard which I love.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I prefer to cook with coconut oil and use it as I would butter. I use MCT oil by the tablespoon or in a drink, coffee/tea/water, because it is tasteless and odorless, doesn't need to be refrigerated, and is liquid at room temp. I now keep the bottle of MCT at work at my desk for just such rushed mornings. MCT taken by the tablespoon beats the gag reflex I had with fish oil. Ewwww. Yea, just thinking about the consistency of butter and coconut oil, because they are solid at room temp, eaten as a "chunk" would gag me. Just don't do that anymore.. :D
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I love it

Put it on my hands

Great for your skin too
  • azcowgirrlup
    azcowgirrlup Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Twibbly wrote: »
    Yup. This is why you have to start out slowly with coconut oil (and other fats, if you're not used to them at all). Standard reaction, coconut oil tolerance has to be built up. Fair warning, you may also get the runs.

I learned this the hard way. . I had to stop using coconut oil and then work back up to a tablespoon, 1/2 teaspoon at a time... Now I am fine with it, but I had a few unpleasant experiences lol.