C25K with 8 yr old?

Options
ThinnerHill
ThinnerHill Posts: 254 Member
Anyone thought of running or does run with their children? I thought maybe my daughter would like this as a mom/daughter activity. Thoughts?

Replies

• ejdp254
    ejdp254 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I did the C25K last summer with my then 11 and 5 yr old, and the dog! the youngest either cycled or played football while we run around him (big field! ) they enjoyed it and it was good time spent together , hope that helps!
  • _Emu_
    _Emu_ Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested to read everyone's thoughts as well, my 9yr old wants to do it with me, but I'm not sure how much running would be to much for her,
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I WISH I could get my son to run with me! I wouldn't worry about running 5k. In my area there are lots and lots of 5k runs that are advertised as "all ages", or "family friendly". And there are lots of kids who complete them.
  • melliesmommy
    melliesmommy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I also hear about 5K fun runs for all ages. You can sometimes find a fun run that's 1K for the kids. Just try it out one day and see how it goes.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Anyone thought of running or does run with their children? I thought maybe my daughter would like this as a mom/daughter activity. Thoughts?

In my last 10K I passed a girl that must have been 10 about 6km in, in the corresponding 5K there were plenty youngsters. And that was a hilly trail race.

• Knyvern
    Knyvern Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    If she wants to run with you do it. I have a friend whose children all run regularly with her. A couple of years ago her then 11 year old daughter ran a local 5k and won the women's division.
  • fit4life_73
    fit4life_73 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea. My 12 yr old has started going to the gym with me. She doesn't run very long. She likes variety so she will do the elliptical and bike.