Why do you listen (or not) to music while swimming?

Options
2»

Replies

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I have a sony underwater mp3 player that unfortunately just recently went on the fritz! after a year. So I swim now without, I found the player invaluable to break through barriers of "black line fever" and it helped me face the "neverendingness" of becoming a regular swimmer. I swim 5 times a week and do 2kms/ 40 laps. Sometimes it was only the fact that I could listen to music that got me in the water!
    19 months later I can swim regularly because I seem to have broken a barrier and I now view swimming as the normal and am actually a bit out of sorts if I don't do it. Which from a former complete sloth is a little astonishing!
    I will get the player fixed but don't mind without it now.

This is so inspirational. I want to be just like you, roaringgael!! Fantastic :)
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Usually the problem is in the ear buds. I like music too, generally listen to Pink Floyd and Jimmy Hendrix. One of my favorite songs is "Free Bird" by Lynard Skinner, the song starts slow and eventually ramps up. Another good group of songs are from "Flo Rida", (Good Feeling and Wild One) most have slower and sprint section in the song.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have a waterproof IPod shuffle and listen to all kinds of music, fast and the slow. It doesn't seem to affect my cadence either way. I put the tunes on and zone out. I am still trying to figure out how to set it so it doesn't shuffle so I can try out swimming to audiobooks.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    earlnabby, check the position of the switch on it - in the middle is playing straight through, to 1 side is off & to the other is shuffle
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Macstraw wrote: »
    earlnabby, check the position of the switch on it - in the middle is playing straight through, to 1 side is off & to the other is shuffle

@Macstraw It's THAT simple? Geez. I have been checking every possible setting on ITunes instead. THANK YOU!!!!

• Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Anytime :-)
  • swimriderun16
    swimriderun16 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I don't intentionally listen to music when I swim but I always end up getting songs playing in my head. Maybe it's the musician in me, but my brain automatically starts playing random songs that match my stroke rate- especially when its a particularly long and/or monotonous set. Is that just me or does that happen to anyone else?
  • LauraRae2
    LauraRae2 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I don't intentionally listen to music when I swim but I always end up getting songs playing in my head. Maybe it's the musician in me, but my brain automatically starts playing random songs that match my stroke rate- especially when its a particularly long and/or monotonous set. Is that just me or does that happen to anyone else?

It's not just you. And given that I teach theatre, it's generally musical theatre songs!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    I don't have any underwater music players so no music for me.
    I have had the good fortune to swim at the Kinsmen Pool in Edmonton where they hosted the Commonwealth Games in 1978 and because of Synchronized swimming it was Equipped with underwater speakers. So some times when I hit the water the local Synchro teams are practising which means you get a wide variety of music playing, rock, jazz, blues, classical etc.