which studies do you follow

Options
jmzz1
jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
I have been detected insulin resistant and I did my research work and came across these doctors whose research work contradicts each other

Dr Neil Barnard who encourages vegetarian diet
Dr Jason Fung who encourage ketogenic diet
Dr Mcdougal who encourage food rich in starch
Dr candwell who encourage raw food diet

which doctor's research work do you agree and WHY?

Replies

• zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I don't know them but tend to agree with Dr. Katherine Chauncey (sp?), who has a lot to say about healthy eating for any condition. I've absorbed such wisdom from working with her as a patient and reading her contribution to the well-known "...For Dummies" library, which discusses the best low-carb lifestyle. Please feel free to check it out!
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I've not heard of Drs McDougal and Candwell. Of the other two I tend to follow along the lines suggested by Dr Jason Fung. His attention to controlling insulin as opposed to trying to control blood sugar levels seems logical and his results are very impressive. While I haven't heard of Dr McDougal, the idea of following a diet rich in starch seems counter intuitive to me. You may like to look up the work of Prof Tim Noakes and Dr Phinney who both favour a ketogenic like approach to achieving good insulin control.
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Dr jason fung encourages IF.
    has anyone of u followed his diet along with IF?
  • DrawnToScale
    DrawnToScale Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Just now, I completed my first fast. I went 45 hours, put some fat in my morning coffee, drank tea & broth, and it wasn't as difficult as I had feared. I think Dr. Fung's message of LCHF eating and IF rings true to me. I'm currently eating 70-100 grams of carbs/day, which is considered moderate LC. Ketogenic is less than 50 grams/day. If you take a look at the LCHF group on MFP, there is a guy there called "DittoDan". He's been doing IF for a while and has great results in both weight loss and blood lipids. Contact him for more. I think any doctor who recommends high starch to someone struggling with insulin resistance is a quack!