Low-carb bread replacement recipes?

Options
CoconuttyMummy
CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
I just tried out Oopsie rolls. Yes, i can see the allure, they are easy to make and usable as a base & lid for a sandwich but honestly i dont like the airy-fairy texture. Theyre so light & airy they just dissolve on your tongue before you get to chew - im just not into that (i dont like angel cake either for that reason and oopsie rolls are way lighter than that).

So does anyone have any other low-carb bread replacement recipes i could try? Buns, Rolls, Sandwich Bread, FlatBread... anything!

Replies

• Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    My oopsie rolls come out a bit tougher, could be because my oven is broken and I put them in the broiler? You could try that if you're ok with the taste. Also, I've found that the rolls toughen a bit with age, if you will. I've not tried the others, sorry, because I can't bring myself to experiment with the high priced flours. I've read of people making breads with almond or coconut flour, maybe flaxseed?
  • CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    I wasnt crazy about the Oopsie Rolls full-stop, so think id rather concentrate on finding a different recipe to try, though thanks for the tips - if i do have to fall back on these again i'll give it a go.

I have flaxmeal, almond flour, coconut flour, arrowroot, tapioca flour.... just need a tried n tested recipe thats worth a shot - there are so many out there i dont know where to start.
  • Ashar33
    Ashar33 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I made a pita bread the other day! was pretty good. I don't think it would work as your typical sandwich bread though, sorry. Made a grilled cheese with it one day, used it to dip in Mexican food the next, and then the last day I had it with butter, splenda, & cinnamon for breakfast. Very dense. Here's the recipe https://medium.com/@KetoMyPantsOff
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I don't do replacements for stuff like this anymore - I just changed the method of how I eat.

But I like the Joseph's brand Lavash Flatbreads and Flax Pitas for a moderate decent carb it. My Walmart carries them by the deli counter, but you can buy them online, too.

I don't have the quirky LC/GF ingredients, so I don't have any recipes.
  • TallulahTracks
    TallulahTracks Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I found this and bookmarked it, but haven't gotten around to trying the recipe. If you do, please let me know how it goes, sounds like the answer to my prayers lol

www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/2dasuw/you_will_never_make_oopsie_rolls_again/
  • Ashar33
    Ashar33 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I don't do replacements for stuff like this anymore - I just changed the method of how I eat.

But I like the Joseph's brand Lavash Flatbreads and Flax Pitas for a moderate decent carb it. My Walmart carries them by the deli counter, but you can buy them online, too.

I totally am like this some weeks. Some weeks I would rather just eat something in a lettuce wrap. Unfortunately, other weeks my cravings just get too crazy ha ha.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    Ashar33 wrote: »
    I made a pita bread the other day! was pretty good. I don't think it would work as your typical sandwich bread though, sorry. Made a grilled cheese with it one day, used it to dip in Mexican food the next, and then the last day I had it with butter, splenda, & cinnamon for breakfast. Very dense. Here's the recipe https://medium.com/@KetoMyPantsOff

Hey Ashar, nice blog *bookmarked*, thanks sweetie.

I'll sure give the Pita Breads a go. Do you think they'd taste OK made into a bacon sandwich with calorie-free pancake syrup? Its a craving i HAVE to satisfy (TOM).
  • JustMe2C
    JustMe2C Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I haven't made any low carb breads, but I did do the Fat Head (think that's what it's called) pizza crust and loved that!
  • CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    I found this and bookmarked it, but haven't gotten around to trying the recipe. If you do, please let me know how it goes, sounds like the answer to my prayers lol

Ooh these look worth a shot, cheers Tallulah. I've got all the ingredients so i'll whip some up in the morning and let you know how they turn out.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

We dont have Josephs or Walmart in the UK

I dont actually eat any pre-made products (other than sausages) anymore, or use pre-mixed low-carb flour mixes, as i much prefer to cook everything from scratch using my own fresh ingredients, so i know everything that has gone in to what i eat. I feel more in control of what i take into my body this way (plus i just love cooking!).

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options

thanks for sharing, I'm going to try these out tonight
  • CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    @auntstephie321 - Could you let us know how they turn out, please? Really hope theyre nice :)
  • DrawnToScale
    DrawnToScale Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I came across this the other day, looks interesting:
    http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2014/11/12/Ultimate-Keto-Buns

This uses almond flour. I'm tempted - but my experience with making pancakes with almond flour, was that I devoured too many calories!
  • CoconuttyMummy
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I came across this the other day, looks interesting:
    http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2014/11/12/Ultimate-Keto-Buns

This uses almond flour. I'm tempted - but my experience with making pancakes with almond flour, was that I devoured too many calories!

Awesome looking recipe! Thanks Drawn. I've just ordered myself some Psyllium Husks from Amazon so i can make this - thats how good it looks to me. When they arrive i'll whip up a batch and let you know how they turn out.

I'll bake a batch of the recipe Tallulah linked to in the morning as i have all the ingredients in for that.

Any more recipes anyone, please do let me know. I just love to cook and im more than happy to be guinea pig! :)

• auntstephie321
    Options
    @CoconuttyMummy absolutely :)
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I just use eggs to make wraps. Whisked up and thinly spread over rhe pan.

Delicious with bacon and avocado.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @CoconuttyMummy

Just finished making them. They are ok. By themselves the taste isn't great but with something on it you don't really notice it. They are still kinda spongy but not as light as the oopsie roll. I didn't have a muffin top pan so I just free formed them, the shape came out fine.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hey babes, thanks for letting me know. I was wondering how they'd turn out. I intended to make some this morning but ive had a hectic day and missed lunch, so i'll probably make them tomorrow i think. Im pleased you mentioned about free-forming them as i dont have a muffin-top pan either, so thats great that they hold their shape. I guess theyre worth a try - they sound better than Oopsie Rolls, but maybe we have more searching to do to find an ideal recipe.

Do let me know if you (or any low-carbers here) bake any other bread-like goodies and what you thought of them. I'll do the same. You never know, if a few of us give some a go we might find a treasure of a recipe.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    How about portobello caps as a bun?
  • CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    I just found this recipe - it looks promising. I might make these tomorrow, instead:-

http://cavemanketo.com/faux-bread-quest-holy-grail-almond-buns/