5k improver plan?

Options
JSC145
JSC145 Posts: 79 Member
Looks like a bunch of us are approaching the home stretch of c25k. Sounds like some people are thinking of moving onto the bridge to 10k.

Unfortunately, I just don't have the time in the morning to run for an hour (already wake up at 4AM most days).

For people who have already graduated from the program... have any of you used any of the 5k improver plans out there? I've been using the rundouble app for the c25k and there are 2 improver plans in the program.

thoughts?

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I love the RunDouble app with all its various plans. If you are like me, having a plan is essential to keep running regularly. I think anything that will keep you running is a good thing. Give it a try!
  • fit4life_73
    fit4life_73 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I haven't finished yet, but my plan is to stay with the 5k distance and improve my time. I haven't seen the improver plans. I'll have to check them out. My maintenance plan is to run 30 mins daily. 30 - 40 minutes is about all the time and mental focus I have. lol!
  • samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    I have been going to and fro between my options. Sometimes, I think i will move straight on to 10 k so that i have a structured plan to follow...and other times, i want to stick to 5k and run on 2 days to improve my speed. Let's see how I feel next week.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    At the level that you're at you'll make very limited gains remaining at short distances. Until you're running 20 to 25 miles per week there just isn't the aerobic base to build on.

I appreciate that many on here will promote the Zen labs B210K plan, but for me it just didn't work so I ended up using an Endomondo plan that had different sessions each day, essentially shorter sessions in the week and one long run at the weekend. That was closer to how most conventional plans work, with 3 to 4 "short" sessions and a long session.

If something like that could work for you it might be beneficial.

I'd add that when I did hat my 5K time improved significantly, so my short runs were quicker.