Wish me luck...

Options
NoelFigart1
NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
So tomorrow, I am doing my first swim event in about thirty-eight years (that being the last time I was at a swim meet).

I'm swimming the Son of a Swim at Lake Memphremagog in Vermont. Water temps are ~65-~67 or so, and I'll be doing the baby swim of a 2 mile course.

While I can totally swim two miles in a pool with no problem and have swum a mile in a lake of comparable temperatures several times over the past few weeks, I am quite nervous about the "official" swim.

Wish me luck, guys.

Replies

• disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you! I'm sure you'll do great and I look forward to reading an Official Swim Report right here :)
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    You'll be fabulous. Best of luck to you!
  • panhandle8
    panhandle8 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Good luck and have fun!
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    All the best Noel! You'll do great :smile:
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    You'll be great! Be sure to come back and let us know how it went! We've been watching you train and improve. This is exciting!!
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    You're gonna do a great job, Noel - luck will have nothing to do with it. I would not be shocked to seeyo comeon here & be surprised at how well you did....
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Good luck! You're well prepared and I'm sure everything will go fantastically.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    So, how did it go? We're all on pins & needles here ...
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    http://swimasslowaschristmas.blogspot.com/2015/06/son-of-swim.html

tl;dr At first I was scared of the cold, then it wasn't too cold, and it was awesome and I was slow and I don't care because I want to do it again and for a longer distance.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    http://swimasslowaschristmas.blogspot.com/2015/06/son-of-swim.html

tl;dr At first I was scared of the cold, then it wasn't too cold, and it was awesome and I was slow and I don't care because I want to do it again and for a longer distance.
    Great job! I love Chesapeake Bay, by the way. Did you used to She-crab soup where you grew up?
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    I've had She-crab Soup at the King's Arms in Williamsburg, VA. Tasty. But what I really prefer are steamed Maryland Crabs. Oh I miss those crab feasts!
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Fantastic, Noel - I'm so glad you enjoyed it :smile:
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    Well done!! A huge accomplishment :) The fact that you loved it and want more is awesome. Hooray for you!!! (and your fabulous kayaking husband)
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    GO GIRL CONGRAGULATIONS
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Attitude!! Great it is. B)

Its not where you placed, its that you finished and accomplished a goal.
    I Know I posted this before but it just needed to be said again.
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    Well, I do have a goal of getting faster as well, but it was pretty exciting. I did get a very flattering write-up from the race director about the swim.
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Great work! Glad it was as fun as you were hoping it would be. :)
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Yeah!!
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Great job Noel! Glad to hear it went well ;)
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    That is awesome. I have yet to find in myself the desire to do an open water event. I think the closest I would get to open water swim is doing laps along the outside of the ropes at Hanging Rock. Lots of boat traffic on every lake around here so free swimming in open water is very dangerous.