Is this normal?

linderbelle
linderbelle Posts: 11 Member
I've always been on calorie diets--I believe I did Atkins as a kid though. I'm 63 years old (well in 2 days I will be) and have been keeping my carbs under 50 and usually around 30-35 range. I began this 2 weeks ago- 6/13 and first week lost 5.6 and last week only .8---Unfortunately, I am a scale watcher---I know I know will never change on that one - just seems weird and frustrating to me to be so new in this game and the second week I only lose .8.

Linda

Replies

• pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    0.8 is great. Keep tracking and trending. Remember that weight loss is not linear.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    First week you tend to lose your glycogen stores. Then they will rebuild to a stable level although lower level (even for ketogenic and zero carb dieters) which adds some of the water weight back on. This time will be marked by slower loss, no loss, or even gains. This is so common we call it PISS (post induction stall syndrom).
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    I think .8 is a lot for a week.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    I stalled a bit also after the first few weeks then progress began again and the average still equals almost 2lbs per week for me. Stick with it. It won't always be the same. Try to break the scale watching habit if it will affect you negatively. Maybe try to pick certain days to weigh and put the scale away until it's time.
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    The first week is a made up of a lot of water, since low carb diets tend to make you lose water more than high carb. Be sure to take in more salt than usual, about 3mg-5mg total. Keep on going and see how you do.
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Welcome Linda to the joys and sorrows of being a lady of a certain age.....we have all sorts of additional things our bodies do to us when trying to lose weight! There are a lot of us in this boat on here so ask away and if we can help you, give you pointers or just support you while you have a moan/rant just go ahead. If you like to read the Over 50 ladies thread and just us there too you are welcome!