Finally! My first 5K race!!!!

bttrthanevr
bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
I just ran my first 5K race today and finished in 36:39:18. I was feeling a little bummed when my best effort only put me ahead of 3 people...and I was dueling with them for that spot! I turned it on in the last 1/4 mile, so much so that I felt like I might vomit at the finish. I've now heard that this was not a typical race...The male winner of the 10K division finished in twenty something minutes, so he basically ran a 4 minute mile for the entire 10K...whew! He also ran this year's Boston Marathon. He finished well before the bombing and was already back at his hotel when that happened. One girl that beat me probably outweighed me by almost 80 pounds...I was surprised, humbled and impressed!!! I don't know where she is in her fitness journey, but I'm sure that she is going places! All in all it was an amazing experience. I can't wait for the next one! i'm a long way from where I was in February...I was intimidated by the thought of a sustained 8 minute run then!

I wish I knew how to add a photo...if I can figure it out, I will.

Replies

• imafitmom
    imafitmom Posts: 116 Member
    Congratulations!!! Quite an accomplishment. GO YOU!!!
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Congratulations! Good job!

I hope to do one someday also, but probably won't be as fast as you.
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    awesome and congratulations! :flowerforyou:
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    I would love to have that time for my first 5k! Congratulations on an awesome accomplishment :bigsmile:
  • kvossandrews
    kvossandrews Posts: 210 Member
    To my running buddy from another country, how I have loved watching each step of your journey. To see this result from you is amazing. You have come so far since February. The high the lows the hot the cold you are now a runner and doing so well. I look forward to your next race and reading all about it.....
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Yay!! Such a great time!
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Well done! That's a decent time for your first 5k, some races are more competitive than others, as you found out! You should be proud of yourself.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Awesome! You did way better than I ever could. Be proud of that time and effort.
  • bttrthanevr
    Thanks everyone! I feel pretty decent today...a little muscle soreness but not too bad really. I hope to fit in a short recovery run today...and then to figure out what I'm going to do to prepare for the next one. :-)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    That is such a great time and a really fast race. No "fun run" for you! Love that you could get out there and be competitive when the gauntlet was thrown. You don't get that without a lot of prep work. Good on you for getting the miles in to make this happen!
  • bttrthanevr
    Hope this works...I am attempting to post a photo of my finish...almost. This is the turn for "home". I'm headed into the stadium for the track lap that is the finish. And look! There is a hint of a smile on my face! Not my most flattering photo, but I'm proud of it! You know what they say..."If you look pretty when you're done, you didn't do it right."

bb5ad353-2185-40c2-87eb-f170bf278920_zpsb5dbf184.jpg
  • bttrthanevr
    Oh, wow! It worked but it is HUGE!!! Yikes!
  • bryionak
    bryionak Posts: 110 Member
    I finished C25K in may and have signed up for my first race on July 27. It is listed as a run/walk so there is a decent chance I won't finish last.

Congrats on completed your first race!!! That is awesome.
  • kvossandrews
    kvossandrews Posts: 210 Member
    great pic.... good work....