I did the infamous W5D3!!

Options
WDEvy
WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
OMG! I did it!

I mean I'm not someone that got out of shape as an adult or anything... I was the pudgy kid the phys ed teacher made fun of in elementary school and the one everyone laughed at in High School. I have NEVER EVER run more than a minute total in my ENTIRE life.

9 months ago I was 251.5 lbs, I was smoking 3 packs a week ( which I did for 17 years) and I couldn't get up the stairs from my basement without feeling out of breath. Today I've been smoke free for 9 months, Onderland is so close I can smell it and I JUST RAN 20 MINUTES WITHOUT STOPPING!!!!

I'm 30 years old and I'm in the best shape of literally my entire life!!! Cannot wait for Week 6 and eventually a 5k!

Mind over Matter people! Mind Over Matter! You can do it too!!

Replies

• daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I started the program two months ago and tomorrow I graduate!!! I can totally relate to you elation over running 20 minutes straight. Each time I finish a new week I brag to my husband "now I can run 25min, now I can run 28 min, etc" It is awesome to go from not being able to run at all to running for 30 minutes!! It is a proud, empowering feeling. Keep at it!!! You will continue to amaze yourself :)
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    That's a great achievement! Giving up the ciggies as well as the running and the weight loss - it's all brilliant!

I'm a bit wary of the 20min run as like you, I was never the sporty one at school (I wasn't chubby, but I was never fit, i'd be yaking my lungs up after 200m).

It's such a boost to read posts like yours where someone who isn't a lapsed runner is starting from scratch and getting results, so thank you! :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    way to go,congrats to you.
  • ladybird1771
    ladybird1771 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! I have "graduated" now but I remember W5D3!
    Well done you :)
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    OMG! I did it!

I mean I'm not someone that got out of shape as an adult or anything... I was the pudgy kid the phys ed teacher made fun of in elementary school and the one everyone laughed at in High School. I have NEVER EVER run more than a minute total in my ENTIRE life.

9 months ago I was 251.5 lbs, I was smoking 3 packs a week ( which I did for 17 years) and I couldn't get up the stairs from my basement without feeling out of breath. Today I've been smoke free for 9 months, Onderland is so close I can smell it and I JUST RAN 20 MINUTES WITHOUT STOPPING!!!!

I'm 30 years old and I'm in the best shape of literally my entire life!!! Cannot wait for Week 6 and eventually a 5k!

Mind over Matter people! Mind Over Matter! You can do it too!!

Rock on. All of it, every smidge that you wrote... amazing accomplishment after amazing accomplishment. Terrific job well done, and I know the effort that goes into every last bit. Fantastic!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Isn't that the best feeling in the world? I'm doing W6D3 tomorrow and now I know I can do the 22 minutes because I got through the 20 last week. Congratulations!
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    But the important question is.........can you play quarterback?
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!! You've got the attitude to make it happen. You rock!
  • babybl00310
    babybl00310 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Well done! I think Week 5 Day 3 is the one that finally convinces the brain that you can do this and the rest of the week's don't seem so frightening after that.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!

I can totally relate. Whenever I read anybody on here saying "I don't know if I can do this." I always think, "Yes, you can. Because I did."

GREAT job giving up smoking!

That 20 minute run really is an accomplishment and a milestone. That's the place I dig down to when my training calendar gives me a new long run distance. "6 miles? Well, I thought I couldn't do 20 minutes, so let's get out there and see what happens!"
  • SenoraMacias
    SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    That's definitely a milestone!!! I started W6D1 today, so the feeling of completing W5D3 is still fresh in my mind. That was my mental hurdle, and once I had knocked it out, I knew I could finish the program. Great job!
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS! It is great to get past that infamous W5D3 mark, isn't it? Keep up the good work!
  • M00NPYE
    M00NPYE Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Congrats I know your feeling on top of the world! Good for you! I just started week 8 and still rocking! :flowerforyou:
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel!

I was never a runner either, and haven't run for 30+ years.

I not only did W5D3 today; I extended the 20 min run to 30 because I didn't feel like stopping and wanted to push myself a little harder. Plus, I was feeling guilty about not doing a proper workout yesterday and drinking a whole bottle of wine instead...

I NEVER though I'd ever actually be able to run, and (somewhat) enjoy it. This might be the beginning of a really good thing for me! YAY!