Question for the ladies.

Options
I'm curious to know if I'm the only one who has experienced this and if it is possibly related to my adopting this diet two weeks ago... I started my period today and noticed some really strange symptoms. Yesterday after studying for a while I stood up and felt light headed and my vision got a little dim. (Orthostatic hypotension for the technical term). The second thing is I'm unbelievably weepy. Seriously for the last two days I'm crying at everything and mostly at nothing. Hard crying. Is this normal? Will it go away by the time I get to my period next month?

I'm usually having about 65ish carbs/day so I don't think it's really that I'm not getting enough, right?

Replies

• Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to remember, and I think that starting about 2-3 weeks after I started eating Paleo, I had a meltdown week. I would cry at the drop of a hat, I felt like crap, it just wasn't a good week. Google "Low Carb Flu" - I think that's what was happening because once I got past that I felt AWESOME!
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I was also thinking "Carb Flu" -- and because of carbs' effect on hormones, your body's hormone production may be affected. Your hormones ought to stabilize within a couple weeks, I should think. I did have some longer-term problems: about six months into the diet, my tendons and ligaments began hurting like crazy all the time, both moving and at rest. All I can think of is that I was detoxing? Or maybe something else. It got better when I started taking collagen every day, and now the tendon/ligament pain is pretty much resolved, except if I get too many nightshades or forget my collagen for a week.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    It certainly could be due to the change in diet. Your body could be detoxing as well as having a bit of the carb flu.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    It's only two weeks... my cycle and symptoms improved on Paleo and are even better now that I'm doing a different version of Paleo (animal foods only).

In my world there is no such thing as too few carbs; only too many. 65 grams would be plenty for most folks but time will tell, keep up the observations.