Speed vs Time

Options
fitandfunchar
fitandfunchar Posts: 12 Member
Hello all, I'm on W7D2 of C25K. I'm super happy because I did this program last summer and stopped shortly after week 5. It's harder this time around because I'm heavier, but I'm getting there and running the time each week. My question is when to worry about speed!
According to MapMyRun I'm running about 1.5-1.75 miles in the 22-25 minutes I'm running. I know I run slowly, but I work up a major sweat and I actually got a chest burn when I did my first 22 minute run. Should I try to run faster or just work on endurance?

Replies

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Endurance... slow down and get to where you are running for 30 minutes comfortably, then think about a Bridge to 10K program, then once you've finished that worry about speed.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 5 and I'm running very slow. My focus is to get to a point where I can run and control my breathing properly as well as keep good running form. I tried c25k 2 years ago and couldn't get past week 5 because of my breathing and ankle/shin pain so I'm determined to do it right this time.

I'm with taeliesyn, concentrate on endurance then once you are more comfortable look at your speed. Thats my plan :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Should I try to run faster or just work on endurance?

Just concentrate on keeping moving for the duration, speed will come with time.
  • fitandfunchar
    fitandfunchar Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for your responses! I'm now on Week 8 Day 2, and I've been doing some research about running today. I'm a little scared -- I feel like I'm moving out of beginner territory in my weight loss journey and having to do things on my own! But I'm going to start running for 30-45 minutes 3x a week after I finish, then start base training!
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for your responses! I'm now on Week 8 Day 2, and I've been doing some research about running today. I'm a little scared -- I feel like I'm moving out of beginner territory in my weight loss journey and having to do things on my own! But I'm going to start running for 30-45 minutes 3x a week after I finish, then start base training!

There are Bridge to 10k programs available, if you feel you need a program to support you a little longer. These will generally take you up to running an hour 3 times a week. I always think it's good to have a period of 30-45min 3x a week before taking on the 10k programs, just to settle in and take the program pressure off for a little bit too.
    With running you rarely have to do it on your own, I would say 95% of the runners I personally know, are running on a plan 85% of the time.