What's your secret?

Options
1235»

Replies

• lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    My secret has been to be honest with myself and to cut out the crap. In the past I would try to fudge a bit on what's on plan or off plan. Saying a food was the best option available so it would have to do and I wouldn't count it as a meal off-plan. By being more honest with myself it has helped me stay on plan better. I was out to eat with my son and had some fried cheese sticks. I ate two, then figured I better look them up and they were 9 carbs apiece. That put me at 18 for the two of them. I then ate a 3rd one. Still less than 30 carbs. But, I marked the meal down as off-plan because I knew what I was doing. Overall, a meal with less than 30 carbs is great in the scope of things, but for me, it wasn't on plan. That level of honesty has helped.

The other thing that has helped a lot is to cut out the crap. By crap, I mean things like Atkins shakes, protein bars, anything with "diet" in it, artificial sweeteners, or anything that's not just real food. So many things have additives or artificial stuff in them and I think those things cause me to retain the desire for carbs or sweets. That's all gone now. No desire at all for the doughnuts, bagels, candy, or whatever else is set out at work. It makes life so much easier.

I guess one more thing to mention is the wonderful people here at the LCD forum. I've made a lot of friends and there is so much encouragement here that it is wonderful. It helps keep me focused an on track.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    lowjax75 wrote: »
    My secret has been to be honest with myself and to cut out the crap. In the past I would try to fudge a bit on what's on plan or off plan. Saying a food was the best option available so it would have to do and I wouldn't count it as a meal off-plan. By being more honest with myself it has helped me stay on plan better. I was out to eat with my son and had some fried cheese sticks. I ate two, then figured I better look them up and they were 9 carbs apiece. That put me at 18 for the two of them. I then ate a 3rd one. Still less than 30 carbs. But, I marked the meal down as off-plan because I knew what I was doing. Overall, a meal with less than 30 carbs is great in the scope of things, but for me, it wasn't on plan. That level of honesty has helped.

The other thing that has helped a lot is to cut out the crap. By crap, I mean things like Atkins shakes, protein bars, anything with "diet" in it, artificial sweeteners, or anything that's not just real food. So many things have additives or artificial stuff in them and I think those things cause me to retain the desire for carbs or sweets. That's all gone now. No desire at all for the doughnuts, bagels, candy, or whatever else is set out at work. It makes life so much easier.

I guess one more thing to mention is the wonderful people here at the LCD forum. I've made a lot of friends and there is so much encouragement here that it is wonderful. It helps keep me focused an on track.

Great method!