Day 2 and not feeling good....

Options
Anna83704
Anna83704 Posts: 37 Member
So this is my 2nd day of paleo...I'm feeling very fatigued (which isn't unusual for me, but more so than usual), and have had headaches and a bit of nausea the last two afternoons. Are these detox symptoms? Is that a thing? I'm hoping I'm not the only one that feels like crap the first few days of paleo and those that have experienced it can tell me how long this lasts.

Replies

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    It's actually quite common to feel drained/achy when you first start eating paleo... it's a pretty big dietary change, and it can be a real shock to your body. Everybody is different but usually it doesn't last more than a couple of weeks. In the meantime, you should be able to quell your digestive issues by eating some starchy veg like sweet potato or drinking some nourishing broth.

I know it totally sucks, but it is perfectly normal and will pass if you give it time.
  • shellylb52
    shellylb52 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, it will pass soon and you'll feel amazing : )
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's normal to feel badly at first. Some people feel better within a month, some people it takes longer. I adjust quickly, but usually suffer badly the first few days. My carb intake totally dictates whether I feel good or bad and how long adjustment takes. I do best with no carbs at all. (Yes, that means I don't eat veggies.)
  • kellyb1285
    kellyb1285 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey!! Feel for you as I went through that in my first week of this change it does get better!!
    I'm now around 4weeks and no issues, however I do snack as get very fatigued if I only stick to meals so try increasing the amount your taking in while still sticking to the lifestyle
    Hope your well soon
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Here is a timeline that can help prepare you for what you might feel starting paleo/primal http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/
  • Anna83704
    Anna83704 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    degan2011 wrote: »
    Here is a timeline that can help prepare you for what you might feel starting paleo/primal http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/
    That timeline is great!

For me, the important thing I learned was to listen to my body. And now, three years in, I know that more than two days of 100g (or over) of carbs will trigger carb cravings, while two or more days of less than 50g of carbs will make me feel edgy, off balance, like something's wrong but I can't put my finger on it. I tend to rotate my carbs (I mean, a high day followed by a couple low days) to keep my body guessing; it seems to work best for me that way.

I love being in fat-burning mode. I'm never hungry. I used to have to eat every two hours, or get shaky and sick. Recently I went nearly 24 hours, at full throttle, without eating (ended up accompanying a kid to the ER and from there checking the kid into the hospital and sitting in that hospital room with no (to me) edible food available). I didn't get shaky or weak or light-headed. My brain was still functioning, and I had energy. I just felt a little hollow, like it would be a good idea to eat at some time in the near future.

A good friend brought me a paleo AIP meal that evening, and I was good to go until the next day. Good thing, too. It was an incredibly stressful time and I needed all my wits about me to deal with the medical professionals.
  • MDAPebbles67
    MDAPebbles67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Try adding sodium.I take 1-2 1 gram sodium pills per day depending on my carb level. Try having some bouillon or salted water. Most commercial bouillons are about 1 gram of sodium per serving. A teaspoon of table salt has 2300 mg (2.3 grams) of sodium.