Small victories: will-power over excuses

KNoceros
KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
So, I'm the sort of person who was put off running by PE lessons at school over 20yr ago. (The 84 in my username is a "random" number assigned by MFP not my year of birth - I wish!).
Then I found C25K. I finished week one on Sunday and have spent the last 2 days waiting for it to be Wednesday so I can go out again. Whats that all about? Never had that before! (Never voluntarily run before either though...). Still, an early start and late finish at work meant that I couldn't sneak an early w2d1 in yesterday, but I was OK with that.

Monday is my training day for my main sport - skiing, which in summer means either the dry-slope or snowdome (I live in the UK midlands, we don't get much snow even in winter!). Anyway, I took a tumble on Monday and pulled/bruised something slightly on my right flank. Didn't notice it yesterday but woke up a bit sore and stiff this morning.
In pre-C25K times I've have used that as an excuse not to go running today. Its a lovely morning, but I have a mountain of other stuff (admin / housework) to do, and I'm "injured". Or so the gremlin on my shoulder is telling me. OH NO, NOT ANY MORE, you go away Mr Gremlin. Application of the cyclists' "rule 5" and I'm putting my trainers on and heading out.

And it was a good run. W2D1 done. Onwards and fitter.

TL;DR - thought I hated running. Found C25K, realised I was wrong. Used to make feeble excuses not to run, proved that I'm tougher than I give myself credit for.

Replies

• showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    yay!!! great job
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Very nice! I've also had to identify my excuses and work out ways to overcome them, one by one.

What is cyclists' "rule 5", by the way? I'm not familiar with that, but it sounds like it might be a great tool!
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Great job! I live in southern California, so my most common excuse especially in the summer is it's too hot! You have to know what your foibles are and how to get around them!
  • maggiekat7
    maggiekat7 Posts: 122 Member
    I knew I was hooked when I used knee pain as a reason to get checked by the doctor so I could continue running, rather than a reason to quit altogether. Way to go!
  • DaveAkeman
    maggiekat7 wrote: »
    I knew I was hooked when I used knee pain as a reason to get checked by the doctor so I could continue running, rather than a reason to quit altogether. Way to go!

Maggie, how did that knee work out for you? I've got a similar situation with my foot . . . just an annoyance, really, that I could easily ignore and live with if not for the running. On the one hand, it is probably bad enough to keep me from running a lot further if not taken care of, but, on the other hand, I am a little scared that the doctor might tell me I have to stop running!
  • KNoceros
    Thanks everyone for the positive comments. Very much appreciated.

DaveAkeman "rule 5" politely translates as "man up".
    It's from the velominati rules (Google will explain). I work with a load of super keen cyclists/triatheletes so rule 5 gets chucked around a lot...
  • DaveAkeman
    "rule 5" politely translates as "man up".

Found it. I like it!

I have a good friend who is a serious cycler, and is currently recovering from a cycling accident last week (while he was doing 25 mph, he totalled a BMW that pulled out in front of him with his body). I think I may tell him that, because he stuck with rule #5 so well, he is now officially allowed to break Rule #81!!!
  • maggiekat7
    maggiekat7 Posts: 122 Member
    @DaveAkeman : my knees haven't bothered me for quite some time now. The doctor was able to confirm that my joints were stable and I repeated the fourth week with proper rest days between (not even walking) running sessions to give my poor knees a chance to recover. I just have some weird body mechanics which arenow causing some inflammation and (sigh) pain in my ankle. Haven't been told to quit yet, so I'll keep working through it!
  • KNoceros
    DaveAkeman wrote: »
    he totalled a BMW that pulled out in front of him with his body). I think I may tell him that, because he stuck with rule #5 so well, he is now officially allowed to break Rule #81!!!

Ooooohhh ouch! That's not good! Hope he mends alright.

(Didn't realise the rules went as far as 97, I stopped reading once they got very cycling specific in about the mis-thirties. A lot would be relevant here though).
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman wrote: »
    he totalled a BMW that pulled out in front of him with his body). I think I may tell him that, because he stuck with rule #5 so well, he is now officially allowed to break Rule #81!!!

Ooooohhh ouch! That's not good! Hope he mends alright.

He's still in the hospital with some gruesome injuries but, because he was wearing a helmet, he will live, and probably even get back on his bicycle again.