Response Cards

christabelle66
christabelle66 Posts: 83 Member
I am curious about what everyone's most motivating/helpful response card has been so far. Mine revolves unplanned eating and deprivation-- feelings of deprivation have most certainly derailed me in the past when I have gotten frustrated and angry that I couldn't eat "like everyone else." This card really helps me:
"I am not depriving myself of this food. I am just depriving myself from eating it in this moment. I can plan for it, and eat it later. Planning allows me to stay in control."

Replies

• mg1123
    mg1123 Posts: 69 Member
    "Hunger is not an emergency". Although I'm not through the book yet :)
  • kraft_kris
    kraft_kris Posts: 157 Member
    mg1123 wrote: »
    "Hunger is not an emergency". Although I'm not through the book yet :)

I recite this to myself often!

• kraft_kris
    kraft_kris Posts: 157 Member
    I need to make some response cards for myself - question for you though, do you actually have index cards? Do you keep them in your purse? I was trying to find an app on my phone that I could use.
  • mg1123
    mg1123 Posts: 69 Member
    I started to write index cards, and that might still work for me. But I have a composition book that I've used for notes. I made copies of the charts that we are supposed to fill out and taped them inside the composition book. I think that when I am done with typing up all my response cards and lists, that I will print them out and tape them into my notebook, and read them that way. I suppose I've ended up with a blend of scrapbook and notebook at this point :)
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    The "hunger is not an emergency" is a good one. I also like to tell myself "you know what that tastes like, so you don't need to eat it right now. You can have it another day when you plan for it." I credit Beck with getting me over my last diet hump, but I have been in a slump/at a plateau or whatever you want to call it for a while now, so I think I need to re-read the book and put the strategies back in place. I still struggle with emotional eating after dinner. I am eleven pounds from goal, and I would really like to hit it this year!
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Kris--I used to use a to-do app (inkpad) for my ARC, and a friend made me a bunch of the index cards, but I am too lazy to carry them. I have recently downloaded an app called ColorNote (it looks like sticky notes) and I might start using that for my notes.
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Hi

My ARCs are a living document. I started put with the 3x5 now I have then on my phone and computer. I have added as time has gone on. Now, I am reading Beck's new book, "The Diet Trap". The BDS has been so helpful for me.
  • christabelle66
    christabelle66 Posts: 83 Member
    I do actually use spiral bound index cards. I have more than one set (Debbie Beck Bursis' suggestion), but I ALWAYS carry one set in my purse. As I use public transportation to commute to work, I use the time I have to spend waiting for trains reading my ARCs as well as my response cards. In the Beck workshop, Debbie highly recommended adding to the ARCs and to start a set of cards for the advantages you have already gained from your weight loss because it is easy to forget them if the process is long or when you are in maintenance. I also constantly tell myself myself that Hunger is NOT an Emergency!
  • maggiewithfins
    maggiewithfins Posts: 75 Member
    My most helpful one has been "it's not the calories in the bite that counts, it's the habit. Even if something has no calories, each unplanned bite makes it easier to take another at a different time". The first week it was amazing how often my hand would go up to my mouth with food in it when I was in the kitchen. Tastes of food when cooking, lick of this, bite of that. Now that I don't do it at all I really realised I didn't need to taste food as often when cooking, and that I look forward to food more when I sit down and eat it.
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    yes, it is the habit that counts
  • thelittleengine
    thelittleengine Posts: 9 Member
    I like: if I eat due to stress I end up with 3 problems instead of 1-the original, feeling bad, and weight gain