Clothes shopping after wls

Options
anbrdr
anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
I'm prefacing this by saying that I avoid shopping whenever possible; especially clothes shopping.

I know individual weight loss is a factor, but how soon after surgery did you realize that your pre-op clothes were too loose for daily wear? I've been stuck at the same size for the last few years, so I don't own clothes that I "grew-out" of. I'm just apprehensive about going back to work and not looking baggy & saggy.

Replies

• cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I hit four months since surgery last Wednesday, and I went the weekend before to the thrift store to pick up some interim "new" clothes. I probably waited too long - I had clothing literally falling off me and pants cuffs dragging under my shoes because the fat rolls weren't there to hold them up anymore - but I just hate to spend money on clothes that I'm hoping to not need in another few months. I'm also a terrible, terrible pack-rat so I've been downsizing into clothes that I kept around in my closet for years for "when I lose this weight I've gained." Thankfully, most of them were classic styles and don't really look dated. But I'm just not going to invest a lot of money on things I won't be able to wear another four months from now.
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    My closet too held a variety of sizes and I was gifted some items, but at 10 weeks I had to buy a few pieces. I think it depends on where you start too, how much you lose pre-surgery, what you do for living, etc... when you are stepping on them and they don't stay up or become uncomfortable it's time! My armholes in dresses were showing all my goodies - in the bag they went! Honestly, I have never been happier to get rid of stuff it means I am moving in the right direction ;) I have been buying clearance items with coupons - my rule is no more than $10 or $15 max for dress or pants and no more than $10 for a shirt and all items must be versatile. I did have to buy new bras I went down around by a few inches that broke my heart (big hit to the wallet) LOL!
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Once clothes don't stay up get rid of them. I got a few and had a few, if you have a place that sells consignment clothes buy from them. Ebay has clothes as well. Buy a few sizes smaller as you will find that you will lose faster and go through sizes quickly.
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    What JreedyJanelle said! Consignment shops are great - especially if you're a professional and have some nice clothes. I plan on bringing a few bags over soon and as those pieces sell I will accumulate credit to get some new items during this journey. I am also not as hesitant to purchase a reasonable priced outfit once a month since I know I can cash that in at the consignment for something I'll be needing.

Also - let's not foget that even though buying new clothes cost a few buck -- WE'RE WORTH IT!!! :)
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the above posts, but I never liked my clothes getting TOO baggy. I have always been so sensitive about being perceived as a "fat slob" for so many years that I had a huge fear of looking too sloppy or frumpy as I was losing, especially at work. I don't spend a lot on clothes, but I know I bought clothes more frequently than a lot of other people did post-surgery. Like Renaejae said, we ARE worth some new clothes! It can really help the self esteem!
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else- build a budget for it. I'm still losing pretty rapidly (2.5mo post op) and most of my clothes are thrift store finds, but I am also treating myself to some new stuff as well. I don't work, I'm a stay at home mom, but my reward to myself is wearing clothes that fit and I'm working really hard at having a few outfits at any time that look nice and are comfortable. Right now my primary wardrobe is 3 sundresses, 3 pairs of capris, 5 summer shirts, and a pair of jeans that fit well. Many of those came from the thrift store and will go back there as I shrink. No point in buying a closet, but I do wear things that fit me now, and hit the thrift store most saturdays (1/2 off most of their tags) to find things that are tight now, but I'll be into in a few weeks.
  • RENAEJAE
    Options
    On a side note - I am paying myself $5 a lb to buy a new wardrobe when I reach goal!! So far I have $380 tucked away.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    That's an awesome idea, @RENAEJAE. My dad is so excited about me losing weight that he has offered to buy me an entire new wardrobe once I hit my goal wait as a birthday gift. My birthday is in August, so I told him it'll have to be a (very) late one since I'm planning to lose about another 60 lbs. before I consider myself at goal.
  • allylansford
    allylansford Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I shopped at Goodwill. I bought something that fit and something to strive for.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Allyansford - buying something to strive for is a great idea!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    My 'strive for' sizes weren't small enough! When I hit a 42 waist, which was the smallest I imagined I would hit, I bought a decent slug of clothes. I then hit my goal weight and seem to be between a 38 and a 40 waist! The 42s fit ok, but I should have waited to actually hit maintenance weight before the mini shopping spree!
  • ssbeadlady
    ssbeadlady Posts: 126 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    RENAEJAE wrote: »
    On a side note - I am paying myself $5 a lb to buy a new wardrobe when I reach goal!! So far I have $380 tucked away.

What an excellent idea for when you get to goal. I guess the consignment shops are a popular place to go while losing.
  • ssbeadlady
    ssbeadlady Posts: 126 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    rpyle you shrunk even more! What did you do with your 42 waist clothing as being 38 I am sure they are falling off of you now?
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I've been thankful that I'm a stay-at-home mom through this, because replacing work clothes would be really expensive.

I started out in 22/24s in late August, I was in 18Ws by November--I had a few old size 18 jeans, so I made do with my baggy tops since it was winter and I was layering under sweaters for the most part. By January I was down to a 16W/XL and I used my Christmas money for a mini-shopping spree. I got two new pairs of jeans, several ts and a hoodie, as well as undies and new swimsuit for a trip...which I promptly shrank out of! I'm at a regular size L/14 now, and could probably wear a 12 in some things. I probably won't be able to wear them next summer if I reach goal, but I decided to buy a small, complete summer wardrobe. I asked for Kohls gift cards for my birthday and got quite a bit there, as well as some really good purchases at Ross. Oh...and I've spent a small fortune on workout clothes, but I don't begrudge a single piece. I realized today that I just need to get rid of my old sports bras--I accidentally wore an old one today and my boob fell out because the band was too big! Thankfully I had a pin in my gym bag. :)
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    ssbeadlady wrote: »
    rpyle you shrunk even more! What did you do with your 42 waist clothing as being 38 I am sure they are falling off of you now?

Belts are wonderful things. I don't think I am all the way to a 38, so the 42s are only loose. I've never had room in pants before, as I was always thigh-heavy, so it feels good!
  • kneessa
    kneessa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been hitting garage sales. I find the nice things in all the sizes I hope to shrink to. If I get there and I don't like how it fits, I'm only out $1. If I end up not liking how it fits, I'm only out $1 tops and I can donate it or sell it back through consignment. It has become a good distractions and hobby. I like the treasure hunt aspect too. My closet is now organized like a store...by size. I love it when I can take a whole chunk out because it is to big.
  • RENAEJAE
    Options
    kneesa - I just cleaned out my closet over the weekend and nearly 50% of it is going to the consignment shop. What is left is also organized by size. I love it!! I used my nice wooden hangers for things to wear now and white plastic hangers for the next size down.

It's such a nice feeling to know that I can reach into my closet and wear ANYTHING I want COMFORTABLE!!!
  • cheekitty
    cheekitty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've just started buying things off of ebay, because getting new is... just not going to work. I just got a shipment of stuff in, two tops and a pair of capris. I can get the pants up, but not buttoned/zipped (I ordered 2 sizes down from what's currently loose on me), so hopefully another month or two and I can do this again. :)
  • tpyle65
    tpyle65 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Some ideas from somebody who has been at my goal for about 5 years.
    1. It will take a while for you to learn what your size really will be, so buy little at the start, look for sales and Goodwill, etc. Also, if you know of a store that sells used clothes, on consignment, you can get good bargains for very good clothing.
    2. Get rid of all the large clothes in your closet! This was a hard step for me, as many were still quite new. But you will feel much better about yourself and your success if you wear clothing that fits you! It took me a long time to believe that I was now size 14 (from 24/26!) and at times can get into a 12, if it is on sale.
    3. Our WLS support group had a "clothing swap" once a month: bring one/take one. It tool some organization, and a few people to take the leadership to organize the process, but it helped a lot of people.
    4. Find a store that you like and get family and friends to give you gift certificates. This way you will built a budget overtime.
    5. Do not buy a lot at one time. Get a few well selected items that mix and match, so you can have a lot of "looks" with a few pieces. Solid color slacks or a simple dress, used with colorful scarves create a great look, than can change easily, and it very economical.
    Hope this helps, and good luck with your journey.
  • SkinnyDevi
    SkinnyDevi Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. Having to dress nicely for work everyday and proven to be quite the challenge recently. I've been able to get by with throwing a blazer on top of most of my dresses which helps to cover up how loose they are. I also use a lot of belts and pins to help get a more tailored appearance. I was so tired of looking like a hot mess that I've allowed myself to by a few shirts but I've only shopped at places like Marshalls, Ross, and TJMaxx or consignment/thrift shops. I also only bought things that were snug now to ensure that I could make decent use of them. I also was able to find clothing swaps in my area (not WLS related) so try goggling for something like. Like TPyle65 said, you will feel so much better when you wear clothes that fit.