Too much protein...

chloexoxmae
chloexoxmae Posts: 32 Member
edited June 2015 in Social Groups
Hi all,
I began lo-carb with the goal of getting into ketosis 5 days ago. Im loosing weight, keeping my carbs down and fats up, and doing good.
But I have just been reading about how protein effects ketosis. After some reading up and looking back, Ive found Im over my protein goal by as much as 50g most days.
So...what the heck do I do? I mean the obvious answer is 'eat less protein' I know. But meats and cheeses and fish are all high in protein, so... Im at a loss.
Any tips or ideas are appreciated.
Thanks!

Replies

• abi111
    abi111 Posts: 50 Member
    eat smaller portions of the meat and fish and add fat or a fatty sauce or eat fattier cuts of meat and fatty fish.
    how much protein are you aiming for?
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Phinney & Volek recommend 1.5-2g of protein per kilogram of bodyweight. Where does your goal fall within that range?

But ya, what @abi111 said ... choose chicken thigh over chicken breast, choose salmon over tuna ... make liberal use of butter, homemade mayo, heavy cream etc. to increase satiety and add calories without extra protein ...
  • deoxy4
    deoxy4 Posts: 197 Member
    It is a controversial subject, here are some opinions from some well respected individuals.

http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/daily-protein-requirement.html

• chloexoxmae
    abi111 im aiming for 99g protein.
    I did some things differently yesterday, including having bulletproof coffee for breakfast and incorporating more veggies. My macros were right on.
    I didnt realise how quickly my protein was adding up.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    On one hand protein needs more energy to 'burn', but US Americans tend to eat at the highest end of the protein scale.
    Also from my readings the higher the protein the more insulin the body pumps out to utilize it..which causes other issues. SInce MOST of us here are attempting to lose weight we don't want to alter /raisethe insulin factor for our blood sugars.

There are supposedly many ways to do low carb but high fatty meat meals seem to be the norm..when adding veggies can even out the amount of calories, the 'bulk' of food to satisfy 'eating', and the bonus of less strain on the body systems to process protein in meat.

People argue that healthy bodies can process any amount of meat..yes, prolly true, but most of the people here aren't at ideal health, many are on serious meds or have health issues, and metabolic problems that DO affect how their body functions.

It is certain that plant based proteins are no where near the processing/digestive workload, or the leave behind oxidative wastes that meat protein delivers. Not saying to change drastically, but look at your individual health and situation.

I think doing a VLC diet is one time you should know your health markers before diving into an all meat diet 24/7 for months on end. Yes the Inuit did it...be we are as alike to them as we are to native !Kung tribes who consume milk blood and meat. ( this is the one area of LC logic I see repeated over and over..Stephanssen followed and dined like the Inuit, all meat, all fatty food, we are constantly told we did not evolve 100,000 years ago to eat grains, but neither did we, as modern humans evolve, in arctic tundra, in the Amazon jungle either…so there is a happy medium somewhere.

we have so many more choices now than 30-40 years ago…so going low carb offers a wide range of foods to keep us on track.

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    edited June 2015
    It is certain that plant based proteins are no where near the processing/digestive workload, or the leave behind oxidative wastes that meat protein delivers.

Certain, eh?

• deoxy4
    deoxy4 Posts: 197 Member
    Sometimes it is difficult to meet fat requirements and not exceed protein requirements if you rely on meat sources only. You might look into fat sources without high protein content. Here are some fat bomb recipes.

http://lowcarbediem.com/fat-bombs-recipes-atkins-ketosis/
  • chloexoxmae
    deoxy4 wrote: »
    Sometimes it is difficult to meet fat requirements and not exceed protein requirements if you rely on meat sources only. You might look into fat sources without high protein content. Here are some fat bomb recipes.

http://lowcarbediem.com/fat-bombs-recipes-atkins-ketosis/

Thanks! I just bookmarked your other post with that link.
    Some of those sound really flipping delicious.
  • gonebeast
    gonebeast Posts: 102 Member
    I think it depends if you're bodybuilding or not. I'd say 50 is fine if you are not. 80 if u are. I'm trying 100 a day since I'm bodybuilding. I'll see what happens, if anything I'd go with my lean body mass protein intake
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    abi111 im aiming for 99g protein.
    I did some things differently yesterday, including having bulletproof coffee for breakfast and incorporating more veggies. My macros were right on.
    I didnt realise how quickly my protein was adding up.

I always want to eat way more protein than I really need and I usually prefer it in the form of meat / eggs / cheese. One thing that I've learned following this WOE is that there is usually protein in just about everything you eat (some veggies are obviously VERY low in protein, but they still have some protein), so it is usually very easy to hit your protein goal. Fat, on the other is not always in everything you eat so I always have to work at getting more fat into my diet! lol