Funny epiphany about drinking broth/sodium

Options
I realized today that I couldn't stomach drinking plain broth before, not because it was too salty, as I had suspected, but because it wasn't salty enough. I just added a 1/2 tsp iodized salt to a warm 8oz cup of organic beef broth, and it's tasty! Kind of like Ramen, minus the noodles and msg.

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Ya, having/getting to add salt to stuff is kinda contrary to a lot of what we've been taught over the years.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    I still feel decadent when I start pouring on the salt.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Thats what ive been doing Mlinton. Although i suspect i can find a nicer tasting brand of broth.

How many grams salt/sodium does your broth have per mug? Mine is 0.8g salt, Im not sure if this is high, low, medium..?
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Mine has 570mg per 8oz, so about 0.6 grams per serving. I deliberately avoided getting the "low sodium" broth, but I guess they don't put much in the other stuff, either.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Phinney's recommendation is about 1g of sodium per broth serving, 2-3 times a day.

Personally, I don't consume that much sodium -- I consume it on an as-needed basis, but that's because I'm not dumping as many ketones as he is. The more ketones in your urine, the more sodium you need.