Does anyone can recommend me a wristband pedometer?

Options
mmnv79
mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
edited June 2015 in Social Groups
I'm looking for a wristband pedometer, not the belt clip type. I have been looking at some on Amazon but the ones I found are rated very low. Thanks!

Replies

• DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I've only had it 2 weeks, but so far I love my FitBit Surge. My wife has a FitBit Flex, and the only complaint is that you can't see the step count on the wrist band itself. We went with FitBit because we like the software.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I guess it kinda depends on how much money you want to spend.

I have a Fitbit Charge HR (you could just go the Charge if you don't care about the HR monitor) which does the job for the basic running and walking that I do. The fitbit online dashboard I find really well laid out as well

There are also the Garmins (not all of them are the high end gps types), Jawbone and Misfit brands. I haven't heard much about the Misfit, but the Garmins and Jawbone ones are meant to be pretty good.
  • DaveAkeman
    Options
    I guess it kinda depends on how much money you want to spend.

^^^ This!

At the end of the day, the el-cheap-o belt clip or pocket pedometers do the same thing as the $300 status symbols. Yeah, there are a few more bells and whistles and gadgets, but you can spend essentially nothing (in fact, I think some health clinics do GIVE them away) and get the same basic functionality.

Most smart phones either have a pedometer built in, or you can download a pedometer app for them. I used the Samsung Health app that is built into Samsung pedometers for a long time, with great results. And I have found that it matches surprisingly well with my FitBit Surge. I also downloaded a different pedometer app once, but I found that it drained my battery quickly.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    mmnv79 wrote: »
    I'm looking for a wristband pedometer, not the belt clip type.

They're all much the same, so it depends which brand you particularly want.

Personally I use a Garmin Vivofit, but when running and cycling use a Garmin Forerunner310XT triathlon watch.

I have to say, I'm a bit meh about it. It doesn't tell me anything I don't know already.
  • mmnv79
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks.

I have been watching videos and reading reviews about and it seems Fitbit Charge and Garmin Vivofit are the best I can afford.

My mobile phone isn't compatible with Fitbit Charge, but it says I can view your dashboard at Fitbit.com and make adjustments there as well. And it seems Garmind Vivofit is available on my PC.

I'm going to research a little bit more before buying one. Thanks again! :)
  • mmnv79
    Options
    DaveAkeman wrote: »
    Most smart phones either have a pedometer built in, or you can download a pedometer app for them. I used the Samsung Health app that is built into Samsung pedometers for a long time, with great results. And I have found that it matches surprisingly well with my FitBit Surge. I also downloaded a different pedometer app once, but I found that it drained my battery quickly.

Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately I have a basic Sony Xperia, but I'm not allowed to have the phone with me at work anyway. Some days I'm stuck in the reception desk for up to 12 hours while other days I work doing tours inside a building and walk quite a lot.
  • DaveAkeman
    Options
    My mobile phone isn't compatible with Fitbit Charge, but it says I can view your dashboard at Fitbit.com and make adjustments there as well.

FitBit allows you to manually enter lots of information in their dashboard and use their software . . . EXCEPT step count. This seems to be their hook. I was using their software for a long time, and my wife had her Flex for a long time, before I bought my Surge. And if they had any way to get step count into their software WITHOUT their equipment, I probably would have done that, instead.

If you don't have a smartphone for your FitBit to sync with, then it comes with a small device you plug into the USB port of a computer, and it will sync with that. And you can go for days without syncing . . . I believe it's 7 days. So you can absolutely use the FitBit without a phone.
    Unfortunately I have a basic Sony Xperia, but I'm not allowed to have the phone with me at work anyway.

I don't know if that's a smartphone, but if it runs Android, then there are apps out there that will run on it. I'm suprised about the having it on you at work . . . even if it's in your pocket, on airplane mode, it will still count steps. If that's not allowed, then you must work at a top secret military base or something!!!

Good for you looking for a pedometer, however . . . whether a basic, cheap one, or an expensive piece of techno-jewelry, it is a great tool!!!
  • kimiko57
    kimiko57 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit charge. I also use the Garmin 15 which has a pedometer built into it. It is a bit bulky which is why I use the fitbit for every day.