BPA vs. maybe-lead

Options
tomatoey
tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
edited June 2015 in Social Groups
So although I generally prefer tap water, I've been drinking water from plastic bottles for a year. Mainly because I live in an old building with old pipes, and maybe two years ago, lead was identified in many buildings made before 1950 in my area (and I later learned, on my block). When I took the place, there was a filter on the tap.

The manufacturer of that filter doesn't make the lead-filtering version anymore where I am, and when I looked around, it was significantly more expensive to get the only competitor's filters than it was to buy a 2-liter bottle of water every day for a buck. (My corner store does a deal on water. Maybe concern about lead is why... although the water in my city in general is cloudy and sometimes smelly.)

Now, I don't know for sure that there's lead in my pipes. I should test the tap water, really, I think there's a kit you can get. It just fell off my radar once I went with the plastic bottles. (Because I mean, the water is cloudy and smelly, it seemed like a reasonable decision.)

But how good are those lead filters, really? If they're not that great, would it be worse to get a teensy bit of lead or overload on BPA?

Replies

• tomatoey
    Options
    Should say that I could find nothing like Brita or other portable filter mechanisms that are approved for lead.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Lead test kit:
    http://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-WT1-Drinking-Water/dp/B000FBMAVQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435414364&sr=8-1

Look for the number in the triangle on your water bottle. If it's "7," worry about BPA. Otherwise don't.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Do you have Culligan in your area? They'll do a consultation for free, which includes testing the water. They should do a lead test for you (as well as other contaminants), and help you identify what kind of filter you would need.

Keep in mind that if it is lead (or other similar contaminants), drinking water isn't your only concern. You're also showering and washing your clothes and dishes in that water. Regardless of what you do afterward, I highly recommend at least getting it tested so you know what you're dealing with.

Likewise, if you're renting and it is lead or other hazardous contaminant, you potentially have legal standing to have your landlord fix it. (The lead disclaimers are usually for paint, not pipes. Paint isn't consumed, but pipes are used for consumption all the time, so I don't think the disclaimers include pipes, especially the ones going in.)
  • tomatoey
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Lead test kit:
    http://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-WT1-Drinking-Water/dp/B000FBMAVQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435414364&sr=8-1

Look for the number in the triangle on your water bottle. If it's "7," worry about BPA. Otherwise don't.

Fantastic. Thank you!
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Do you have Culligan in your area? They'll do a consultation for free, which includes testing the water. They should do a lead test for you (as well as other contaminants), and help you identify what kind of filter you would need.

Keep in mind that if it is lead (or other similar contaminants), drinking water isn't your only concern. You're also showering and washing your clothes and dishes in that water. Regardless of what you do afterward, I highly recommend at least getting it tested so you know what you're dealing with.

Likewise, if you're renting and it is lead or other hazardous contaminant, you potentially have legal standing to have your landlord fix it. (The lead disclaimers are usually for paint, not pipes. Paint isn't consumed, but pipes are used for consumption all the time, so I don't think the disclaimers include pipes, especially the ones going in.)

We do have Culligan, but honestly, that kind of service is outside of my budget :/

I agree that lead isn't great on/around any body part... I'm pretty sure my LL would not be up for replacing the pipes in the building. (He's not interested in changing the front door, for example, which is a hollow interior door with a huge gap between its edge and the floor :/ I saw that when I moved in, though. I live here because it's a very pretty and clean apartment in a low-vacancy city otherwise full of bed bugs, and it's comparatively cheap, and it's in a great location :/ He's reasonable about a million other things, though, just a bit lazy [and probably cheap, too])

When all this lead business came out, the city provided guidelines for safe use of water, which amounted to "get a filter if you're going to drink it"; I assume that would be the standard used in any court case (which I also am not sure I could afford in terms of time or money).

I very much appreciate your advice, though, thank you :)
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    He might not change out the pipes, but he might consider a high-quality building-wide water filter (like a culligan reverse-osmosis system) especially if local laws mandate that he must provide a safe living environment and basic utility services. The water filtration system would run new smaller pipes to the areas of service.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Cheesy567 wrote: »
    He might not change out the pipes, but he might consider a high-quality building-wide water filter (like a culligan reverse-osmosis system) especially if local laws mandate that he must provide a safe living environment and basic utility services. The water filtration system would run new smaller pipes to the areas of service.

I dunno, Cheesy567. I can ask, I guess. Thank you for the recommendation :)
  • saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Consider getting a good filter from Amazon or some such. There's one called Zero Water that does most contaminants, not just lead. Good luck with that.

Honestly, none of us who use city water can be sure of what we're getting unless we test it ourselves and/or use a good filter.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Yeah, good point. I have to do something (or nothing).
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Lead test kit:

Fantastic. Thank you!

We do have Culligan, but honestly, that kind of service is outside of my budget :/

I agree that lead isn't great on/around any body part... I'm pretty sure my LL would not be up for replacing the pipes in the building. (He's not interested in changing the front door, for example, which is a hollow interior door with a huge gap between its edge and the floor :/ I saw that when I moved in, though. I live here because it's a very pretty and clean apartment in a low-vacancy city otherwise full of bed bugs, and it's comparatively cheap, and it's in a great location :/ He's reasonable about a million other things, though, just a bit lazy [and probably cheap, too])

When all this lead business came out, the city provided guidelines for safe use of water, which amounted to "get a filter if you're going to drink it"; I assume that would be the standard used in any court case (which I also am not sure I could afford in terms of time or money).

You don't have to get the service, though you may find that it costs less than buying water out. But, you can get the consultation for free, regardless.

Also, if you can afford the initial outlay of cost, there was a great gravity filter posted on here not too long ago...and the filters last years... Just a little pricey up front...
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Lead test kit:

Fantastic. Thank you!

You don't have to get the service, though you may find that it costs less than buying water out. But, you can get the consultation for free, regardless.

Also, if you can afford the initial outlay of cost, there was a great gravity filter posted on here not too long ago...and the filters last years... Just a little pricey up front...

Also, if your water does test positive for lead, I'm willing to bet your landlord will be a lot more willing to change the pipes when the EPA lawyers come knocking on his door...