Bulletproof coffee vs Meal

deoxy4
deoxy4 Posts: 197 Member
An article from Angelo Coppolo comparing Bulletproof coffee versus Meal. I use Bulletpoof coffee when I am extending a fast but not on a routine basis. You may agree or disagree with his food choices. You can substitute your own for comparison. I think he makes some excellent points.

http://www.humansarenotbroken.com/bulletproof-coffee-vs-breakfast/

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    I agree that a whole foods breakfast would be preferred, but on work days, I simply don't have the time. I don't use as much "oils" as he indicates is his example, and my variation includes 2 raw eggs blended in (the heat of my tea - can't stand coffee - is enough to kill the bacteria), and this ends up tasting like a tea custard drink. I do not like the butter in this, as I can taste it, but I use heavy cream in place. So mine is triple strength tea (usually 20 oz), salt, 2 raw eggs, 2 oz/4 TBSP heavy cream (sometimes half), 2-3 TBSP of coconut oil, 1 packet stevia, 2 packets splenda (this is what we have at work), all of this blended together.

Usually I have some small keto friendly snack with it, and sometimes this carries me through to dinner. Other days I want to eat around 1-2 pm (I have my tea usually finished up by 8:30 am). I've been successfully lowering my fat, inches, and weight in the nearly six months I've been on this plan. Contrary to what he says, my trigs are way down, my HDL is going up - improved ratio there. My LDL is currently up, but that is common when your body is losing weight and burning fat, so until I'm in a maintenance range, this isn't a concern.

My blood pressure is lowering, as is my blood sugar, insulin levels, A1c, and my thyroid panel is all but perfect now. I don't do this on the weekend, and if I have time to make a real breakfast, I do, but most of us don't have time to cook a full on breakfast every day. This weekend, my fiance and I had bacon and eggs both days. Plus, he had more grams of carbs in his breakfast than my body will accept in a day, so I don't know how he can claim to be eating ketogenic...

But overall, I agree - real food is better than BPC, but BPC is better than frankenfoods, off plan eating, or fasting - unless planned and well managed...