NYTimes mag: Can the Bacteria in Your Gut Explain Your Mood?

Options
camtosh
camtosh Posts: 898 Member
For the gut biome enthusiastes :)
‘‘The larger concept is, and this is pure speculation: Is a disease like autism really a disease of the brain or maybe a disease of the gut or some other aspect of physiology?’’ Mazmanian said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/28/magazine/can-the-bacteria-in-your-gut-explain-your-mood.html

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've been following these studies on gut bacteria and mood for a while now. It's some pretty convincing stuff.

I'm especially interested in studies that are discussing the role of antibiotics in all of this...
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Ty for the share @camtosh. It was a very interesting article, although it was a bit too broad in scope. IMO, the microbiome theories are mind boggling. They are the best candidate to explain the huge variety in the human condition. Even with the variety with genes and action potentials, they don't change so fast. Microbiome is the missing piece of the puzzle, I think. The catalyst that can turn on or off detrimental/beneficiary dynamic states in a forever flux with hormones. I can personally attest to lowcarb + a serious volume of exercise as an extremely efficient mood changer. I feel more even keeled, less upset.

The problem with these mice and monkey studies are that they are basically not possible to repeat for humans, depending on how strict you wanna go. Even for the same human being, getting the same result twice, would be hard. Which in turn makes it difficult proving in the western modern medicine criteria. My money is still on the microbiome, hehe. Treat it right!

Friends with Benefits: The Human Microbiome
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAF-AblJpfM&index=2&list=PLhMVa_juzVPkG-BIQzaD-lOwOF0lPaTEs
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Pretty neat. Celiacs often end up dealing with depression and anxiety because of intestinal damage an gut flora that isn't what it should be. Amazing stuff.