Cold Bulletproof Coffee??

Options
Raynne413
Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
Ok, I'm not really a fan of hot drinks, coffee especially. So I was going to try making a cold version. Which is helpful because I can make it the night before in a shaker cup to take to work with me because I don't have time in the mornings to do anything past my workout (Have to be at work by 7 at the latest). So I was thinking of brewing some really strong coffee, mix with 1 tbsp coconut oil (I found a version that stays liquid even when cold), and some cashew milk (low carb, no sugar). However, I am stumped at the butter. There is no way I could use butter in a cold drink and not have it congeal. Is there a substitute that could be used instead of the butter, or can it be just as beneficial without the butter?

Replies

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Ghee?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Actually, are you sure that will happen after you blend it? The fats emulsify when it's done right and shouldn't congeal or separate when cold. Have a look at Mark Sisson's Primal frappe for this concept in action.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I usually make my BPC cold. Once whizzed in the blender the butter emulsifies just fine. No separation or congealing at all.
  • Raynne413
    Options
    Great! Thanks! I'll give it a try tonight!
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    As the heat in Texas rises, I'm dying to know...
    How did that turn out?

-T.
  • Raynne413
    Options
    Teneko wrote: »
    How did that turn out?

-T.

It turned out just fine! I put it in a protein shaker cup so I could give it a good shake before drinking. I have to say, I've tried with with cashew milk, which tasted pretty good. Today I tried it with just water and hated it. Probably because I'm not a coffee drinker.

However, it seems to have NO effect on my hunger levels, so I think I'm going to end up forgoing it, and just eating something.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    It takes about a week for you to adapt to the decreased hunger from it. I added a small food snack with it at first and still do sometimes. Also, I have to maintain levels of salted water or salt and water to keep the hunger at bay.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    Raynne413 wrote: »
    Teneko wrote: »
    How did that turn out?

-T.

It turned out just fine! I put it in a protein shaker cup so I could give it a good shake before drinking. I have to say, I've tried with with cashew milk, which tasted pretty good. Today I tried it with just water and hated it. Probably because I'm not a coffee drinker.

However, it seems to have NO effect on my hunger levels, so I think I'm going to end up forgoing it, and just eating something.

I found the same thing when i first started the BPC. I find if i add protein (eggs, protein powder) i feel fuller than just butter & MCT oil, but honestly i have never felt this everlasting energy and satiation til dinner that people talk about. I do MUCH better in general eating a solid breakfast, but i keep trying the BPC b/c its so quick, easy, convenient & tasty. The best i can hope for is that it gets me through to lunch without snacking, but bwoy am i ready for some FOOD by then.

One other thing ive noticed id that if i just do plain BPC for breakfast i really struggle to get enough protein in the rest of the day without going over calories. Im only on 1200 cals max a day, so if you've used up 1 of your 3 meals calories with no protein it gets really complicated and often impossible to rectify my macros and calories for the rest of the day.

I signed up for the July IF challenge. I was going to do a bulletproof fast with BPC at breakfast & no food from 8pm to 12noon, but now im really doubting if this will be possible for me. If my daily calories go up even slightly i gain weight. I have to be so careful. And gaining weight on IF would be a huge kick in the teeth.

Does anyone else feel they do not lose weight drinking BPC?

And does anyone else feel the need for some protein at breakfast to feel good, look good & meet your macros?

• DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I feel fine doing IF with BPC only until noon. I do feel a little hunger in the morning, but nothing so intense a chug of extra water won't resolve it. And my energy is great (when it's not pre-TOM, apparently). I do look forward to lunch pretty intensely, but then when it comes right down to it, almost every day I briefly consider waiting to eat lunch until later.

And yeah, like you, I have trouble getting in my protein for the day. I may have my protein goals set a bit high for my actual activity level, though, so I'm going to go recheck my macros shortly.

What's really strange is that when I first starting drinking BPC I found I was going over on my calories for each day, but now there are days when I'm well under and get the MFP warning about my calories being too low when I go to close out my diary. It's almost as though the BPC curbs my hunger all day long. I'm not sure if I'm making sense, so let me give you the scenario. I drink my BPC around 6am, eat lunch at noon, and then occasionally a snack in the afternoon around 4. After that, I'm not as hungry as I used to be. I'll cook dinner but then just pick at it... if I even cook for myself at all. I'm just not really hungry in the evenings. But the only difference in what I'm doing is the Bulletproof-style intermittent fasting, so I'm thinking that somehow doing the IF impacts my appetite around the clock and not only in the couple hours after I drink it. Does that make any sense at all?
  • CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    @Mami1976D - Sure it makes sense. :) Im actually getting into the straight BPC w/o any additions this past few days. I decided to give it a go again w/o the egg and on my busy days its now taking me through to dinner just fine. On the days im at home all day i still need to eat lunch, and im watching the clock until im able to eat, but i think this is more to do with not being busy than anything. It must have just taken my body a little while to get used to BPC/IFing. Im even starting to think now that i actually feel fuller for longer when i have straight BPC than when i added the large raw egg. Its strange but appears to be true that keeping the body in a fasted state reduces hunger in the long run.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time staying under calories when I started bpc too. I made it the way I saw people talking about... 1Tbs coconut oil, 1Tbs butter and 1 or 2 Tbs hwc. It was too calorie heavy for me. So after a couple days trying to figure out how to still eat decent meals, I adjusted it to only 1tsp coconut oil, 1Tbs hwc and no butter at all. It's still enough to hold me over til lunch. If I don't eat any breakfast at all (typical) then I will have 2 cups.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    I had a hard time staying under calories when I started bpc too. I made it the way I saw people talking about... 1Tbs coconut oil, 1Tbs butter and 1 or 2 Tbs hwc. It was too calorie heavy for me. So after a couple days trying to figure out how to still eat decent meals, I adjusted it to only 1tsp coconut oil, 1Tbs hwc and no butter at all. It's still enough to hold me over til lunch. If I don't eat any breakfast at all (typical) then I will have 2 cups.

How many calories does that work out per cup? Mine's 238 cals for the 1 tbsp MCT Oil & 1 tbsp Butter.

• DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    @Mami1976D - Sure it makes sense. :) Im actually getting into the straight BPC w/o any additions this past few days. I decided to give it a go again w/o the egg and on my busy days its now taking me through to dinner just fine. On the days im at home all day i still need to eat lunch, and im watching the clock until im able to eat, but i think this is more to do with not being busy than anything. It must have just taken my body a little while to get used to BPC/IFing. Im even starting to think now that i actually feel fuller for longer when i have straight BPC than when i added the large raw egg. Its strange but appears to be true that keeping the body in a fasted state reduces hunger in the long run.

I have the opposite problem: At work I'm a clock-watcher, but at home--who has time to eat??? :wink:
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    To the original questions about cold BPC - here is a cold recipe that someone I think from this group popped up today.

http://www.grassfedgeek.net/2013/05/bulletproof-coffee-ice-cream.html?m=1