Anybody else suffering from the 40s metabolism slump?

Options
13»

Replies

• khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I am 43 and I feel like ever since I caught pneumonia last December, I feel much older and weaker. I never used to gain weight and over the last 9 months, I gained 10 pounds, which is nearly 10% of my body weight. All of a sudden everything I eat makes me gain weight and it seems to be getting worse. I have to turn things around now!

Just curious - did you by any chance take a round of antibiotics for your pneumonia? And if so, did you do anything to "re-stock" your gut flora like use probiotics or eat yogurt?

I'm also 43 and it's been bad for me the last three years. I started probiotics recently on the recommendation of my gastroenterologist (I have Ulcerative Colitis). I'm curious to see if I see any weight-related health benefits, given all the recent reports about intestinal flora playing a role in weight maintenance.

But yeah, to echo everyone here, my 40s have not been a great time for me. Put on 10 lbs a year for the last 3.5 years, after having a stable healthy weight for all of my adult life with little effort (and I was underweight as a teenager). Started MFP to turn things around.

• jenniferbfab
    jenniferbfab Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I took augmentin and had to miss work for well over a week. I swear I have not felt the same since!

I tried a Fit 30 video on Roku last night and could only get thru 17 minutes before I had to give up. I will try again today. I refuse to stay looking and feeling like this!
  • jenniferbfab
    Options
    Oh and no I did not do anything to re-stock the good bacteria... Not sure if that helped or hurt me
  • LoveIshie
    LoveIshie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    @dcresider, fat storage for everyone is different. Some people store most fat (primary fat) in their hips, thigh, belly, back of their arms and bottom. The rest of the fat (secondary fat) is spread out over the body. The problem is most people will lose the secondary fat first and then everything else come to a screeching halt when the rest of the fat left to shed is the belly or one of the primary fat deposit area. Those usually are problematic area for women especially the belly fat is the most complained about (Men & Women). Unfortunately, belly fat simply expands as we age. This is tied to an increased production of Cortisol, the stress hormone. Combined with other hormonal factors, fat cells become inflamed and tissues expand to create fat where you want it least (mid line). I have read that eating in reverse can take care of this problem. Eating in reverse means you eat heavy food such as spaghetti in the morning because you will have time to burn it early in the day and then eat lighter food in the evening such as high protein foods. Because your metabolism is slowing down later in the day, it is very important to try eating dinner no later than 6pm so your body has enough time to burn some of it before bedtime. You can even take a walk around the neighborhood after dinner. This usually gets the metabolism going.
  • K8Fit
    K8Fit Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yes but I've had quite a bit of progress with consistent strength training, HIIT, and keeping my daily sugar intake under 40g.
  • LoveIshie
    Options
    @K8Fit care to elaborate on acronyms HIIT? I am a wee bit slow lol :smiley:
  • K8Fit
    K8Fit Posts: 31 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    LoveIshie wrote: »
    @K8Fit care to elaborate on acronyms HIIT? I am a wee bit slow lol :smiley:

High intensity interval training
    (something like sprint-jog-repeat)
  • jenniferbfab
    Options
    I find it difficult to exercise regularly. I am tired when I get out of work and the last thing I want to do is move. And it is pitiful because I am really out of shape. My endurance is just...gone! I only can get myself to the Y once a week and figure I can do an exercise video on Roku maybe 2 times a week. Even that little bit would be an improvement for me. I got spoiled with my high metabolism when I was younger. Never exercised, people assumed I did. Now, it has caught up with me! :)
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I felt like I dropped this weight at a fairly reasonable pace (I'm 42). My approach was to run daily, at least 30-40 minutes at a time, and I set my weightloss goal fairly aggressively (1.5 pounds / week). I've lost about 40 pounds since March of this year.
  • mystcfolly
    mystcfolly Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I definitely have the 40s metabolism slump. Took me two months of exercising and eating fairly well to see just the minute progress I have had on the scale... BUT my body is changing as I see the inches retreating, my body just doesn't like to give up the fat. But my 42DD breasts are now 40DD... which is a plus for my back. :wink:
  • LoveIshie
    Options
    Thanks for elaborating on the acronyms HIIT K8Fit! Some people may not know what you meant that's why I asked.
  • bekichitwood
    bekichitwood Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    wissywig wrote: »
    I second (third? fourth?) the comments re resistance training (free weights for me). It is consistently the difference between me being able to lose and not lose. Plus seeing the definition in my muscles gives me motivation to continue on the right path, which can be difficult if you have a long way to go (or even if you don't). I've read that second only to tracking calories, weight training is the most important thing you can do for fat loss.

This is such great advise, I'm going to start the resistance training. I've been pretty good about my diet (1,000-1,200 well balanced) but I've lost 1 dear blessed pound in 5 weeks.
    AND, I'm going to try to break my self in in short intervals during the day.

I hope that this helps everybody else too, some great advise here.
  • mtdang
    mtdang Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I agree over 40 even well before menopause it is harder. Building muscle in whatever way you can and if time is short sneaking in mini-workouts helps. I do stairs at the station waiting for the train or at work (in high rise office building). And being aware that seemingly minor dietary indiscretions seem to have a greater impact than before.
  • SeriousPC
    SeriousPC Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Free weights are my thing too. I don't like going to the gym so have Chalene's Lean Extreme program. Lots of easy modifications for those with back issues (me) and I like her energy. You can use bands or weights, whichever suits. Slow and steady wins the race... I feel like I only have to look at a dessert and my waist expands... blurrggghhh! lol
  • rsedig
    rsedig Posts: 3 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Im in my early 40's and have lost about 30 lbs this last year by mainly cutting calories by eliminating added sugar( a true addiction). It is hard to maintain and keep it off for sure. My advice is to just keep exercising and eating healthy.
  • neetneet46
    neetneet46 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yes! I am 47 and have a bunch or hormonal issues and the weight is GLUED to me.

• neetneet46
    Options
    That's the way I feel. My stomach looks like I'm pregnant but I'm really not . My doctor tested my glands and they're normal. She said just keep doing what you're doing because it is helping my heart . That's the only positive I came away with. I want my sexy back , lol. It's hard some days but I'm not giving up. I've been working on watching my diet and staying away from fast foods. Sweetness is my weakness so I have to be careful because she said my sugar is a little high.I'm going to fight this because I'm losing 30lbs. !
  • neetneet46
    Options
    I tried IF and gained 6 pounds.
    rsedig wrote: »
    Im in my early 40's and have lost about 30 lbs this last year by mainly cutting calories by eliminating added sugar( a true addiction). It is hard to maintain and keep it off for sure. My advice is to just keep exercising and eating healthy.

• neetneet46
    Options
    I'm really working on eating healthy. I've added more vegetables to my diet. I've been exercising with no results . Now that I put this together I should start seeing results.