Bydureon: care to share your experience/ thoughts?

Options
2»

Replies

• drofjustice
    drofjustice Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    tsazani wrote: »
    Diet AND exercise are the cornerstones of DM management.

I wholeheartedly agree. I've been diabetic for about 15 years and I noticed the upswing in BG after vigorous exercise as well. This is due to the secretion of glucagon, which promotes the release of stored glucose from your liver into the bloodstream. I found that for vigorous workouts I could prevent this with a quick carb (1/2 banana) before I began. Also, I have found that strength exercises have a more prolonged effect on BG than cardio, so a combination of both is ideal.
    Btw, the GLP-1RA drugs (Byetta, Victoza, Bydureon, etc) decrease the secretion of glucagon by the pancreas as one of the mechanisms by which they reduce BGs.
  • CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 456 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Each individual is different from the other. (I'm type2)
    Diet and exercise do obviously help.
    o:)
    Bydureon did nothing for me. In fact, it increased my BG numbers dramatically.
    And that was me eating low-carb, losing 15 lbs and starting a regular exercise plan.

On Bydureon, my A1C levels went from 7 to 11. My doctor freaked out. :o
    I'm sure she thought I'd been living on deep fried chocolate dipped doughnuts.

I discontinued the Bydureon; there was a 10 day gap between my last injection and when I started
    the Lantus. Even without Bydureon (and without changing anything else) my BG numbers started to go
    back down.

With the Lantus, my numbers dropped immediately and now all my readings are within normal range.
    Like.. 83 first thing in the morning.

It's not a cure and yes I need to be vigilant.
    But now I feel like I can control my own destiny; whereas before I felt desperate, panicky and hopeless.

Soldier on. o:)

• wtskinner
    wtskinner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    CrisEBTrue wrote: »
    Thanks. I WAS freaked out about it. I'm still adjusting to it, but I think it will be ok.

o:)

The only thing I haven't adjusted to is the price for my diabetes drugs.
    $75. for Victoza, $50. for insulin, $50. for needles, $20. for Metformin
    $9. for 50 test strips.

No doubt, it's legalized robbery.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I'm on metforminER (500x2) daily and a once a week injection on Tanzeum. It's in the same class as Bydureon. I've lost 60ish pounds since starting it. I do tolerate the side effects ok. I use the patience assistance program to get the med for free because my insurance refused to cover it without me failing on something else first. Best of luck to the OP as you try to find something that works for you!