Eggplant recipes?

Options
LuanaBean
LuanaBean Posts: 50 Member
I've never cooked with eggplant and would like to know if anyone has any ideas for cooking clean with eggplant?

Replies

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    The only recipe with eggplant I like is baba ganouj.... http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/eggplant_dip_baba_ghanouj/
  • irisgal345
    irisgal345 Posts: 96 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
  • Carns35
    Carns35 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is one of my new favorites...www.cleaneatingmag.com/recipes/mid-east-cobb-salad-with-roasted-chickpeas-creamy-tahini-dressingj82tra5jxv2y.jpg
  • LuanaBean
    Options
    Thanks, These all look delicious.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    caponata. Its an italian dish. I've cooked it twice. and i eat it with spaghetti though its a dip. I like it.

The key with eggplant is to cook it thoroughly. Nothing worse than undercooked eggplant.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    ratatouille is a french dish yummy. Many many different recipes and many a bit dodgy, so look for something from a reputed cookbook writer or go for a french recipe book to find your authentic recipe.

This is a vegetable stew. Operative word being stew.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite eggplant dishes is moussaka, which I make either with white, but also often with sweet potatoes. Instead of cream I prefer home made greek yogurt. I am not a vegetarian, but also often leave the ground meat out and it's still tasty and healthy.
  • BlakelyFaye
    BlakelyFaye Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I love eggplant, and I have been collecting recipes on a Pinterest board. https://www.pinterest.com/blakely89/eggplant/

A good, basic way to cook it without all the added oil is to steam it in a microwave steamer bag for several minutes. It is surprisingly good. I do this all the time and then add it to various recipes. One of my favorites is to line a casserole with the steamed eggplant and top with homemade marinara and fresh mozzarella and then heat it through in the oven. If you want, you can add some breadcrumbs to give it some texture, but its really not needed.
  • LuanaBean
    Options
    Great ideas, you guys! I appreciate your input. The mozzarella and marinara eggplant recipe sounds good. I love those food combinations. How do you make your homemade marinara sauce?