Hello new here.

kia_runs
kia_runs Posts: 77 Member
Is this an active group? I am transitioning to vegan looking for recipe shares and ideas to give up cheese

Replies

• GreenTeaPotato
    GreenTeaPotato Posts: 40 Member
    edited July 2015
    There's Daiya brand vegan cheese to help transition but its not exactly a healthy food.

My friend found a recipe for Cashew Cream Cheese in the newspaper recently:

2 cups raw cashews, soaked in water overnight.
    1/2 to 1 cup water, as needed.
    2 tbsp plain, unsweetened soy yogurt.
    1/2 tsp kosher salt.

Put all in a blender and mix until smooth, adding water if/as necessary. Transfer to a glass bowl, cover and let rest 36-48/hours. Strain out any excess water by hanging in a cheesecloth overnight in the fridge. Can then store in a covered container in the fridge up to 2 weeks or freeze up to 4 months.

I haven't tried this recipe myself yet.
  • kia_runs
    kia_runs Posts: 77 Member
    There's Daiya brand vegan cheese to help transition but its not exactly a healthy food.

My friend found a recipe for Cashew Cream Cheese in the newspaper recently:

2 cups raw cashews, soaked in water overnight.
    1/2 to 1 cup water, as needed.
    2 tbsp plain, unsweetened soy yogurt.
    1/2 tsp kosher salt.

Put all in a blender and mix until smooth, adding water if/as necessary. Transfer to a glass bowl, cover and let rest 36-48/hours. Strain out any excess water by hanging in a cheesecloth overnight in the fridge. Can then store in a covered container in the fridge up to 2 weeks or freeze up to 4 months.

I haven't tried this recipe myself yet.

Thank you! I've been making shells and daiya cheese lately. I just have to realize that the replacements are NOT cheese and the taste will be different.